Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Talked to Bedlack at Duke about this supplement yesterday at clinic. He stated that he was actually very encouraged by this and that he published a paper on it at ALSUNTANGLED. He said it was better, in his opinion, than Lunasin and that the cost was only $50 per month and you only have to take one tablet per day. He encouraged me to take it.

Vince

ive been taking protandim for three years (my sister sells it). i like it and can tell when im off it by a decrease in energy. i think you can buy it on ama zon. i cant remember who told me or where i saw this, but i thought protandim had 500 mg of turmeric. wiki says less than that. ill find out and repost when i do in case anyone wants to take the ingredients. oh, my chiropractor sells it as well, so maybe other chiros sell it and people may find it there to purchase.

will bedlak do a clinical trial with it?

Each of the five ingredients has different interactions/contraindications, so please read up on them before taking a combo product (or any product). I'm surprised to hear Dr. Bedlack expressing interest in a trial given that its ALS Untangled review is one of the weakest yet.

Should I get Protandim from LifeVantage? Seems to be the only buying option online.

Each of the five ingredients has different interactions/contraindications, so please read up on them before taking a combo product (or any product). I'm surprised to hear Dr. Bedlack expressing interest in a trial given that its ALS Untangled review is one of the weakest yet.

It honestly doesn't seem to be a weak review to me. Just looks like there isn't enough validated data to pass judgement on yet. They gave it an excellent grade on what it could possibly do(mechanism wise).

I got many hits from google including Amazon.

Vickman you can buy protandim on ama zon. Laurie, I don't know what to think about any of this stuff anymore. I feel like we get very small pieces of info with no real stats to back it up and then we are left to decide whether to jump on the bandwagon or not. I feel like all of this is creating false hopes and, speaking only for myself, I'm getting pretty damn tired of it. I hate clinic, I really do.

Vince

Vince,
Once you have breathing support & a wheelchair and your tube is in, not much need to go to clinic unless it helps. We stopped going a couple of years before Larry died, but since we did our own BiPAP and he never had a tube, could've stopped easily after he got his PWC a year before that. And ours was a short walk. While I respect what clinics want/try to do, I respect P/CALS' rights more, to round the bases best they can.

As for false hopes, I can't help but think anything with five layers of cake is spinning the wheel, but that's me.

But there are clearcut healthy things to do. For example, most commercial formulas for your tube-to-be are liquid junk food. Use a real food formula or better yet real food. Stabilizing inflammation and oxidative stress seemingly has little down side as long as you take interactions into account. Optimizing vitamin D, which is often low in immobility, is desirable. Etc.

I agree with your subtext, which is that the last thing you want to do is spend your final quality years chasing hypothetical rainbows when you want to spend your time looking at the real deal. So to shake off the clinic blues, get some fresh air in a far nicer context in the near future.

--Laurie

dam i agree vince, i am getting more confused and feeling like a guinie pig. thank you laurie for all your insight on matters als, i really appricate someone who cuts through the bullshi! love ya all chally

Thanks Chally. And Laurie, you are spot on. When I asked the nutritionist if I could use "real" food in the feeding tube she said "absolutely not", "you will cause the tube to clog and you will get an infection". Then she proceeded to tell me about the commercial supplements.

Vince

Not to drift further off topic, but just a recent encouraging word toward real food -- this piece mentions that former NFL player Steve Smith, also a PALS, has been doing that w/ a tube since 2006.

After paying the negotiated rate of $627 for one month of formula for steve's tube I can assure you that if the va doesn't provide it, and even if they do, we will try regular food first. Smoothies are still okay for now but I can thin those out to go down.

Personally, I think most of this stuff is a racket. We know someone who sells Protandim and he is after us to buy it. Not interested. A lot of people prey on others in these situations. I think if it was showing such great results, it would be in all the media.

vince/chally - its tough deciding what to try and what to spend money on. i feel that if someone you respect suggests it or if you like the research on it, try it - if you can afford it, both financially and physically. i give most things a months trial. if i notice a positive difference, i stick with it. if nothing positive happens, i stop.

i use real food in my tube, for eight months now. theres a facebook group - Adult GTube Feeding - that talks often about recipes using real food. but they also have members who use formula.

I wonder that if doctor Bedlack thinks that Protadim shows promise there perhaps exists documentation that people had improvement in thei condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back