Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
New York
City
Bellport
Has anyone else heard about this new breakthrough. I am pretty sure it is john's hopkins. The information is easy to find online. My friend with ALS is excited. I believe the info. just came out today.

I think you might be referring to this.

I’ve tried to capsulize their findings here:

Philip Wong at Johns Hopkins published an article August 7th in Science describing their work with ALS and mice.
“Autopsies of nearly every patient with the lethal neurodegenerative disorder amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and many with frontotemporal dementia (FTD), show pathologists telltale clumps of a protein called TDP-43.”… TDP-43 is normally responsible for keeping unwanted stretches of the genetic material RNA, called cryptic exons, from being used by nerve cells to make proteins. But when TDP-43 bunches up inside those cells, it malfunctions, lifting the brakes on cryptic exons and causing a cascade of events that kills brain or spinal cord cells.”

In the brains of healthy people, they saw no cryptic exons.

This finding, the investigators say, suggests that when TDP-43 is clumped together, it no longer works, causing cells to function abnormally as though there’s no TDP-43 at all.”
“We still don’t know why it aggregates in the first place,” he says. Wong’s group is planning studies that may answer these questions, as well as additional tests on how to treat TDP-43 pathology in humans.”

Ice Bucket donations funded this. --Mike

Yes, that's what I saw. My friend with ALS does not seem too excited about it. The nice thing is that money from the ice bucket challenge went toward funding the research.

Personally I'm pretty excited about it. Sometimes things can happen on a hockey stick curve, look at what's gone on with melanoma and lung cancer.

When you start aggregating circumstances things can really accelerate. For instance I read somewhere that there was discussion about allowing phase 3 trials to start using historical placebo data due to a couple of things, one being such small sample group sizes make things hard analytically speaking and two they've noticed that ALS patients seem to be living longer/progressing slower due to treatment advances and better care.

With the two combined there was concern that trials results were being skewed and maybe benefits where possibly not being given the statistical significance they might actually warrant.

I'm pretty excited about it as well. I am in a family that has quite a long experience with familial ALS. While this news may not result in anything that will personally help my uncles and cousins that are already diagnosed, it just thrills me to think that my younger cousins and nieces and nephews might get to see the dark clouds parting up ahead.

Here is the link Nikki posted last week

http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/3g4c7v/science_ama_series_hi_im_jonathan_ling_a/

TDP-43 has been a putative target for several years. It's kind of the amyloid of ALS, though. Many researchers think amyloid is fundamentally related to the dz process of Alzheimer's, but thus far targeting amyloid has not influenced disease progression significantly. In ALS, we know even less about the conditions under which TDP-43 clumps than we know about amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles in AD.

Historical controls are being used in ALS research; however, the FDA to date has not accepted that approach as sufficient for registration trials. Comparing a therapy someone starts now with a "moving average" from earlier days in pretty much any disease stacks the deck. Care has changed and so have patients. Of course, randomized controlled trials with two+ arms using today's patients have their flaws as well, and all research is limited by the ways "efficacy" is measured in ALS.

Note that there are positive hints from limited research into supplements (MitoQ, cannabinoids, curcumin and B-12 are examples) that are largely drowned out by the greater focus on rx.

Likely, there will be a sea change in rare dz trials as genomics progresses, and in treatment as well as we see more clearly that one treatment does not fit all.

One of the main reasons behind the c9 ID project is to get historical data on the progression of C9 ALS. They are hoping that is they can gather enough data on a sufficient number of patients by the time antisense therapy is ready for trial they can get the FDA to waive a control group. Since this trial would be only for c9 disease they will argue that it is a somewhat homogeneous group. A few clinics started gathering data last year. With increased funding they add a few more this year. The project tests apparent SALS as a percentage will have c9 and enrolls them in an observational study. It also enrolls people like me who are known c9 FALS. The goal is to get at least 6 months of data on 100 patients.
The initial funding for this was raised by a PALS-CALS husband and wife team after they had raised a good amount a pharmaceutical company contributed enough to get things started and this year they got some ice bucket money. Sadly, Virginia ( the PALS) has passed away but it is a story of how PALS can make a difference

notBrad - Can you be more specific about "ALS patients seem to be living longer/progressing slower due to treatment advances and better care" ?
What treatment advances might they have been referring to?

I did make a comment on another thread about how I had always read that 90% of us are expected to pass within 5 yrs. but now I'm hearing that that 90% figure is good for 10 yrs.

I ran across it somewhere and will try to run it down but basically the gist of it was that due to several factors such as earlier administration of riluzole, better nutrition, supplements, exercise, etc... they were seeing an upwards trend to the oft quoted 2-5 life expectancy.

I'll try and run down what I can and post it here.

Music, you've been pretty quiet lately. How are you?

Here's one link

ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's disease

Improvements in medical management, including nutrition and breathing, regularly increase patient survival. Fifty percent of affected patients live at least three or more years after diagnosis; 20 percent live five years or more; and up to 10 percent will survive more than ten years.

Nuts, he is a newlywed! He has been busy with other things:):):):)::)

Nuts - I don't contribute much these days because I have to type with one finger which seems to take forever. Besides that I'm dealing with a paralyzed left hand and arm, along with a left foot that I can barely lift off the ground due to an extremely weak ankle and finally I have a weakening left hand and arm. Aside from that that I'm doing okay. Sure am enjoying my marriage, though! We just got back from a week long Alaskan cruise that was actually our delayed honeymoon. Had a ball!

Thrilled for you, Richard, that you're enjoying married life, and had that honeymoon in Alaska.
Charlene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back