New discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have concerns about embryonic stem cell research Dr Eggan's project did not use embryonic cells but using IPS technology regressed skins cells from affected adults to stem cells then converted them to motor neuron cells.
Very cool science and I am proud to say I gave skin samples to the biomarker study that supplied Dr Eggan!
IPS technology is I think the cutting edge technology so if you are asked to do a skin biopsy or if they tell you a blood test will grow a cell line( the newest newest technology) please say yes

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining that Nikki and thank you for donating to the study!

Very interesting. I often feel left out of the discussions of possible causes of ALS. I'm not a veteran, not an athlete, no familial history. But there was a tidbit in this article that hit home for me. I have had primary dysmenorrhea since I started menstruating (severe pain, vomiting, cramping; enough to put me in bed for 2-3 days), which is a problem with prostaglandins gone wild. From the article above, it seems that glaial prostaglandin dysregulation may be involved in at least some forms of ALS:

Microglia mediate signaling of prostanoids, which include the prostaglandins, hormone-like fatty acids that control inflammation, among other activities. In the brain microglia aggregate near damage, but in ALS, overactive versions of the cells might contribute to the pathology. PET scans show supercharged microglia in the brains of ALS patients, and heightened signaling in their spinal fluid.

and

Microglia apparently harm motor neurons via a specific type of overactive prostanoid receptor. First author and grad student Sophie De Boer and her colleagues at HSCI, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Boston Children’s Hospital, conducted a brilliant series of experiments that show that blocking or removing the errant receptors may be one route to extending survival in ALS.

Maybe this is how I fit in? (shrug)

Thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back