Reason
Loved one DX
Country
Uni
State
Alabama
City
Mobile
First of all, I am not a supporter of Abortion. Being that I was blessed at the age of 30 with a beautiful healty baby girl. All the Doctors were telling me I couldn't have children. I also do not support Cloning. Thats why this Bill needs to be passed so there will be Federal regulations.

I also, understand there are a lot of non-supporters of this ACT. We all have our own opinions. I can appreciate that.

I am an Advocate of this Bill, Two days ago I sent 50 E-Mails to my house of Rep., My Senators and President Bush. Over a year ago I didn't even know who my Reps. were. Now they know me. By the way, My Alabama Reps. Vote No.

Congress Passes the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act Again, Oppose a Presidential Veto
Champions and advocates of research secured another victory in the effort to expand federal support for embryonic stem cell research yesterday. The House of Representatives passed S. 5, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, with strong bipartisan support, 247 to 176.
In a statement following the House vote, President Bush said he will veto the bill. Tell the President that you oppose his position and urge him to reconsider

If you would like to sign up to do this go to http://www.researchamerica.org/

I will be glad to help with any questions. Just send private message.

Read Recent Article

The House-based bill would expand that pool of available cells to include those from any of the thousands of embryos that are discarded by fertility clinics each year, as long as those cells were freely donated for research by the parents. It would also impose some of the country's first ethics rules on embryo research.

Read Full Article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/11/AR2007011100251.html

Please Read. Stem cell study zeroes in on ALS cause.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18126826/

Also, before I made this post, I sent them all 50 more E-Mails. If they don't hear our voice. We will not make a difference.

Lorie

Stem Cell Treatment

I understand there are a lot of scams out there - which is sad. I have a dear frind who was Dx one year ago and it seems as though he is deteriorating quite quickly. He went to Europe for a vacation - I thought he would maybe be looking for stem cell support outside the US. As I surfed about, I happened to find this stem cell therapy at what seems to be a legitimate clinic :
Please check out:

This is a clinic in NM that is using Live Umbilical stem cells from healthy births. Umbilical Stem cells are more effective than bone marrowstem cells. Does anyone know of the legitimacy of this clinic? Please advise if you have any facts on this. Thanks!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Help Wanted" President Bush Vetos S.5 Stemcell Research Enhancement

Moved to a new thread under ALS/MND Research/News. To get more viewers.
Lorie

Thanks for the link. I just signed your petition.

Cellmedicine.com Question

Well it seems like they put a lot of work trying to educate people about stem cells. Did you see their youtube channel? http://www.youtube.com/cellmedicine they have have some on remyelination and specific ALS studies...if anything its informative.

swmn said:
I understand there are a lot of scams out there - which is sad. I have a dear frind who was Dx one year ago and it seems as though he is deteriorating quite quickly. He went to Europe for a vacation - I thought he would maybe be looking for stem cell support outside the US. As I surfed about, I happened to find this stem cell therapy at what seems to be a legitimate clinic :
Please check out:

This is a clinic in NM that is using Live Umbilical stem cells from healthy births. Umbilical Stem cells are more effective than bone marrowstem cells. Does anyone know of the legitimacy of this clinic? Please advise if you have any facts on this. Thanks!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cellmedicine

I am sure they have convinced a few people. If they were curing patients with ALS it would make the world news. Not just youtube. I was reading a story a while back about a man that went over there for treatment. He died within two days of coming home.

But Hey, Lets make up our own minds!

Lorie

stem cells and ALS

Dear Lorie,

This is not a thing of "belief" or "making up our own minds". Either the stuff works or it doesnt. All I know is that Cellmedicine are the only ones who actually publish their work in peer reviewed journals.

Please, please send me any info you have about that patient you referred to. Alternatively please email to [email protected] .

You may know stem cells have already been used in ALS and published in the journal Lancet. From my understanding cellmedicine is merely offering similar procedures.

Lancet. 2004 Jul 10-16;364(9429):200-2. Links
Comment in:
Lancet. 2004 Nov 27-Dec 3;364(9449):1936-7.
Stem-cell therapy for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Silani V, Cova L, Corbo M, Ciammola A, Polli E.
Department of Neurology and Laboratory of Neuroscience, Dino Ferrari Centre, University of Milan Medical School-IRCCS Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Milano, Italy. [email protected]

CONTEXT: With the lack of effective drug treatments for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and compelling preclinical data, stem-cell research has highlighted this disease as a candidate for stem-cell treatment. Stem-cell transplantation is an attractive strategy for neurological diseases and early successes in animal models of neurodegnerative disease generated optimism about restoring function or delaying degeneration in human beings. The restricted potential of adult stem cells has been challenged over the past 5 years by reports on their ability to acquire new unexpected fates beyond their embryonic lineage (transdifferentiation). Therefore, autologous or allogeneic stem cells, undifferentiated or transdifferentiated and manipulated epigenetically or genetically, could be a candidate source for local or systemic cell-therapies in ALS. STARTING POINT: Albert Clement and colleagues (Science 2003; 302: 113-17) showed that in SOD1G93A chimeric mice, motorneuron degeneration requires damage from mutant SOD1 acting in non-neuronal cells. Wild-type non-neuronal (glial) cells could delay degeneration and extend survival of mutant-expressing motorneurons. Letizia Mazzini and colleagues (Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 2003; 4: 158-61) injected autologous bone-marrow-derived stem cells into the spinal cord of seven ALS patients. These investigators reported that the procedure had a reasonable margin of clinical safety. WHERE NEXT? The success of cell-replacement therapy in ALS will depend a lot on preclinical evidence, because of the complexity and precision of the pattern of connectivity that needs to be restored in degenerating motoneurons. Stem-cell therapy will need to be used with other drugs or treatments, such as antioxidants and/or infusion of trophic molecules.

Paul. It doesn't work. PERIOD Don't try and tell us it does. That clinic leads you to believe it is in the US and is in fact in Mexico totally unregulated.
Another get rich false hope scam. You should be ashamed.
AL.

Last edited:
Dear Paul If anyone is interested in stem cell reaseach there is one going on in Columbia University Hosp.In NY They have a enrollment going on. That doesnt mean it will turn out to be a cure,I think it will be but only for selected people.You have to realize that you must be radiated all over to kill you immune system to except the foreign stem cell How many people in a weaken condition of aLS will be able to do that. So there are many more information on stem cell before you or anyone cansay its a cure,Please dont give anyone the wrong info Its a scam what you are saying Pat

This is the same exact entity I dealt with for my husband. These people are out to suck you dry. Pat is right, you must go thru a chemo approach and various therapeutics that will end up costing you around 100K when it's all said and done.

From what I gathered when I spoke with the "doctor" that represents them in the US, is that there is a legitimate lab in phoenix that provides the cells, which is legal in US to gather cells but not use them for treatment . Thus you must go across border to Mexico or CR.

Yes I have seen the youtube nonsense - how can that be any proof whatsoever?

I do believe stem cells may be able to help ALS one day. But most "evidence" from other countries that stem cell treatment has worked is anecdotal and no proper protocols were followed to prove the patient had ALS to begin with.

If you find proof otherwise please keep us updated.

Don't mean to sound hostile - I just believe after researching this extensively, that these people are preying on the desperate and have no care other than to pad their bank accounts! Go ask the guys on ASLTDF forum that have already been ripped off how they are doing! Be prepared to be crest fallen...

Paul and AL

Thank you, AL!

Paul,
First of all, over a year ago when my Brother lived in WV, I was desperate to find something to save his Life. I found that site and E-Mailed it to his Father-In-Law. It wasn't long after that that I had read this. I then said forget it! Keep in mind I am a member of many ALS Groups and Forums. If I can recall after reading thousands of post and information on the Internet I will be glad to send it to you. I will not take away my Advocating time for ALS.

Look what was updated on their site today:

http://www.cellmedicine.com/disclaimerpage.asp

Disclaimer: Stem cell treatments offered by the Institute of Cellular Medicine (ICM) are not approved by the United States FDA or any other government agency. Stem cell treatments at ICM are in no way to be construed or presented as a cure for any condition, disease, or injury. Stem cell treatments at ICM are not a substitute for any current medical care. Consult with you physician before undertaking any medical treatment, including stem cell treatments at ICM. No guarantee of clinical benefit from ICM stem cell treatments is made or implied. Information on this website is for informational purposes only.

For the life of me. I can find all the phone numbers I want for them. But I can't find an address. They have an application you can send on-line and one you can download and fax.

Also, I happened to find this site earlier:

A Non-Profit Charitable Organization in the US.

The Health and Welness Foundation

http://www.fflt.org/index.html

Guess who is on the Executive Comittee?

Dr. Frank Morales/Dr. for The Institute of Cellular Medicine

For a $25.00 Donation they will give you a list of Practitioners affiliated with the site.

Now, Mr. Paul. Read the disclaimer they put on the site.

Either it works or it don't, RIGHT?

I think I am done for now!

Lorie:mad:

Plus they charge $25 for a lost of practioners associated with them?! Well, this is either a money-making scheme or it isn't! No physician group I ever heard of charges for a list of affiliates. Nor do they charge for research. Enough said. Cindy

Dr. Morales! The very same doc I spoke to at length!

Proceed at your own risk and have the pocket book wide open, better be a big one.

Another Scam

This is from another Forum I am Involved with:

The PhD Responds,

Eden Laboratories seems to be a P.O. box in Nassau, the Bahamas (sharing the same box, actually, with other similarly named biotech concerns):

http://www.starcapital.net/contactus.html

http://www.starcapital.net/advisoryboards.htm

The self proclaimed ‘biotechnology company’ is soliciting for participants in a ‘clinical study’ which is to be performed in Belize. ALS is one of a number of diseases that is to treated in this ‘study’ – the others range from MS, various cancers, HIV, diabetes, head trauma etc. The estimated cost for the treatment are claimed to ‘run between $50,000 to $125,000 per patient, depending on the disease state . . . (etc)’. The claim is that Eden will be performing the procedures for ‘selected’ patients as a ‘non-profit effort supported, in part, by grants from the Eden foundations throughout the world’. I could find no information on the worldwide ‘Eden foundations’ nor was the level of the implied ‘in part’ financial support given.

The Chief Medical Officer on the ‘Medical Team’ associated with the ‘study’ is Mitchell J. Ghen, D.O., PhD. Information on previous efforts by Dr. Ghen in selling stem cell treatments to ALS patients can be found on our website:

http://www.als.net/treatments/reviews/reviewsarticle.asp?articleid=1634

and from a newspaper article from 2003:

http://www.parentsguidecordblood.com/ghen.html

Currently, I know of no substantiated studies demonstrating benefit from stem cell or cord blood therapeutics in ALS. A significant reason why this potential treatment is typically not available in the US – outside of a real clinical trial - is that there is no validation that it provides benefit for ALS.

John McCarty, PhD
Treatment Investigator,
ALS Therapy Development Foundation

Lorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back