Diagnosis
07/2011
Country
NZ
State
NZ
City
NZ
Just keen for any feed back from anyone that may have tried this, or has knowledge about it. I have been researching and to date havn't found anything that would discourage me adding it the list of therapies. I know of one person here who has lymes disease and he takes h two o two -essentially hydrogen peroxide food grade and very diluted daily - he also puts a very small amount in a bath when he takes one and had noticed so many great benefits since starting this over the past few years. Aparently it boosts the levels of oxygen in the body significantly. Im not rushing into this - and may just start with the oxygen "tank' first -but very keen to see if anyone here is trying anything like this.

I believe that oxygen can be dangerous as it can decrease your respiratory drive if by "tank" you mean traditional oxygen supplementation that you would breathe in?

Just another question - relating to the above - if anyone has tired oxygen therapy via hydrogen peroxide- how long for, intravenous, or oral -any negative side effects...? to date what i have learnt is that it only has benefits but must be taken very strictly to recommended doses... and used to be used commonly for many medical alignments but because it cant be patented and money made from it, it has had alot of bashing and goes in the quackery box for therapies.

Hi Nikki -thanks so much and worth considering and researching more... I am considering the "hyperbaric oxygen tank' initially... and until i find out more about hydrogen peroxide therapy i am on hold with it.... (excuse my typos) - apparently it used to be used in medicine for various lung disease etc . I wonder why the tank decreases respiratory drive?

It sounds pretty hokey to me Wings. ALS is not a lung disease.

lol at 'hokey' ms pie.... yes i know hun - to both hokey (rofl) and als not being a lung disease. Its about the whole body being well oxygenated that makes sense to me... im on hold with it for now in particular hydrogen peroxide... until i find out more - most importantly is to find out that it causes no harm. Where it could help re the lungs would be more of a preventative therapy for secondary als symptoms - pneumonia etc -as its is supposed to help clearing of the lungs/lining/any muck (for want of a better word) in the lungs... need to find out more - no harm in asking/researching huh :)

Check out a web site written by a Neuro nurse who is also a PALS
She has some good explanations
ALS from both sides dot org

Too much inhaled O2 could stop your drive to breathe

The cough assist, used regularly, is a good means of combating pneumonia

thanks momap :) Happy new year!, great site ive spent sometime there. I cant find where she talks about hydrogen peroxide therapy - I see her sharing her knowledge with regards to bipap.. Hydrogen peroxide therapy is something you have either orally - drink or intraveinously so maybe its different too inhaling the oxygen... it supposedly acts as a therapy to the whole body -not just lungs - lungs is a bonus hence it supposedly having great results with lung diseases. I need to research more and particularly the potential to reduce respiratory drive -that would not be good. Just hoped a few ppl here may already know about it.

Hi again Wings
I think we are talking about different things. oxygen (O2) decreases respiratory drive.
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a different molecule. There is some dicussion about possible protective effect on motor neurons on the web but I did not find any strong research supporting it.
Re hyperbaric chamber ALS Untangled is looking into it but no conclusion as yet.
Take care
Nikki

Wing, about 6 months ago a local GP gave me the contact details of a Doctor in Auckland who was offering hyperbaric chamber sessions. The GP's wife had MS and had taken treatment with this doctor at one point. He made no comment about her experience. The GP was, at that time, in contact with a MND patient who was taking treatment and who reported "they felt the treatment was helping". I no longer have the contact details but they had been offered for a few years and there was information about the treatments and contact details on line so I reckon they still are and you might be able to find them using MS as one of the search choices. Sorry, that is all I remember about it.

wow Nikki that is helpful ty - im finding it interesting - and kiwi sally :) brilliant idea re ms search tools - i figure if your dr suggested it then there at the least cant be any harm in it... perhaps a good way to kick off the new year... boost of o2 .... happy new year!

sally just another thought - why didnt you take up on your doctors suggestion? How r u going hun....?

I am still researching in between getting other stuff done re oxygen therapy and have just found this document on the pubmed site... still looking to see if there was another longer trial with these results its a wonder there has not beena larger trial conducted -as at aguess i would say the length of time and number people partaking is just not enough to go by.... fascinating though - doesnt mention anything about a decrease in respiratory drive ... would love to find out more about that..

A Phase I ... [Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Stiill researching - just in case anyone else is interested i am posting some interesting links to research i am finding -hopefully they will get put up here -one has already gone too mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back