Was Lou Gehrig's ALS Caused by Drinking Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, it will be interesting to see where this theory goes.

Miss,

It was an interesting read for sure. Saying environmental health is an effect to
physical health, just makes plain sense. Thanks

Jim

Wow! I wouldn't be surprised if an environmental link is found.

Interesting read... and I've wondered why there were 3 elderly men on my street all suffering from Alzeimers Disease at the same time. All three lived here for most of their lives.

A few years ago I remember "super blue-green algae" was supposed to be healthy for you...

I am no expert but you would think they would end up finding more neighborhood, town pockets etc if this was the case. Who knows though anything is possible.

There's more to the story than simply the presence of concentrated cyanobacteria (with the accompanying BMAA) in food and water sources. Compare the findings here with a more typical form of food- or waterborne illness.

The incidence rates of ALS in areas with high cyanobacteria concentration are higher than those in areas that don't have as much cyanobacteria -- true. But even those incidence rates don't get close to the incidence rates you would see with something like dysentery or norovirus. Even if you combine the incidence rates for all non-genetic neurodegenerative diseases, it's my guess that you would still be an order of magnitude away from the prates for dysentery or norovirus.

Another piece of the puzzle, hopefully. And another misuse of Lou Gehrig's name to bring attention to new research. At least these folks didn't dig through Lou's biography to find out whether Lou lived in a cyanobacteria-contaminated area.

My two cents worth.

very interesting. i am the only one of 5 to live in the same city my entire life. our lake-water resource has this algae and 'turns over' every year. i'm also the only one with any kind of neuro disease. makes me wonder.

I always blamed heavy metals myself.. Lord knows we have that in Tap water in every city.. In my case I was also directly exposed to heavy metals everyday at work (Electrician) Lead,Mercury,Aluminum,Copper. Not to mention head trauma and electric shock. As I see it there is no way to eliminate lead in city water systems what with the lead pipes that were commonly used in the past and the Solder joints that most houses older than 5 yrs have. Not to mention the Mercury most of us have in our dental fillings. And the mercury that can be found in almost any fresh water lake.

And talking about fillings , does anyone know if there are dentists out there that specialize in working with ALS patients ? Mine tends to be very nervous with the excessive choking and gagging while he trys to work.. (I can't even stay leaning back for five minutes without choking even if nothing is being done)

Last edited:
And a side note to this subject .. I read a article about tap water being responsible for the Major increase in cases of asthma because of the additives to tap water, namely chlorine and fluoride.

These chemicals are breathed in during showers.

Being that most people these days take a shower every day compared to the 50s when the norm was 2-3 baths a weeks is the reason for the increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back