Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Corinth
My Mother-in-Law has ALS and like everyone else we are searching for ways to slow the progression. Has anyone tried the Ketogenic diet or have any information on it?

Hi bandit. Welcome to our forum but we are sorry about your mother in law's condition. From what I read about this diet it is or was used for controlling epileptic seizures in children. It is high fat moderate protein and low low carb. That causes the body to throw off ketones leading to weight loss. Something an ALS patient wants to avoid unless they are obese. I think I'd just stick with the mainstream attitude of eating healthy. Lots of fruit and veggies and moderate meat and fish intake. Throw in a few carbs and you are going to be pretty balanced out. AL.

ketogenic diet

I'm curious. I read quite a bit tonight including on ALS forums about the ketogenic diet and how it slowed progression of ALS in the mice model. Seeing as I'm in the over the top weight group I think I will give it a try. Of course, I will do my do diligence in research to make sure I'm doing the diet correctly. I googled ketogenic diet and ALS to get the info I found. Wouldn't that be a kick if a diet really helped. Much cheaper than the only Rx out there for us.

Sharonca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back