Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
Read more here

From Gizmodo:

The Neuralynx System translates thoughts into speech. It connects to the neurons, sending signals wirelessly to a laptop, which translates the brain activity into spoken English. It's not science fiction: They tried it with a paralyzed 26-year-old and it works.

According to the research paper, they inserted the electrodes into the patient's brain, installing signal amplifiers and transmitters under the scalp. The circuitry—powered by an induction electric supply—transmits the signals to a laptop via FM radio. The software then converts the analog signal to digital data that the neural decoder interprets these into speech commands, which are then sent to the synthesizer.

The whole process takes 50 milliseconds, which is the same amount of time it takes to any normal person to do the same process, using their nerves, vocal chords, and mouth. According to Neuralynx project leader Frank Guenther—from the Department of Cognitive and Neural Systems and the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences at Boston University—their system is going to get even better soon.

The results of our study show that a brain-machine interface (BMI) user can control sound output directly, rather than having to use a (relatively slow) typing process. Our immediate plans involve the implementation of a new synthesizer that can produce consonants as well as vowels but remains simple enough for a BMI user to control. We are also working on hardware that will greatly increase the number of neurons that are recorded. We expect to tap into at least 10 times as many neurons in the next implant recipient, which should lead to a dramatic improvement in performance.

Obviously, this is going to be a miraculous invention for people who can't talk because of nerve damage or any other reason. It could also mean the beginning of something bigger, perhaps enabling new kinds of communication. Imagine an implant that could do the same thing on reverse, basically enabling long distance telepathy. Or an jet fighter that can take mind commands in Russian!

Hmmm... on second thought, this may be the best worst idea ever created.

Oooo .. here can I sign up ?

I want to signup too

Seems like they've made a good start down a long road. However, they'll probably hit a bit rougher sledding when they try to distinguish between all the different consonant sounds. Given how subtle some of the pronunciation differences are between some of the consonants, I'm sure it will be a tricky piece of work to sort them all out.

Notice, also, that they appear to be working from thought directly to speech output. This allows them to skip the text output stage that would slow everything down. Couple that with a speech recognition system and you might have the beginning of a real communication system for the locked-in.

Sign me up too!

There needs to be an emergency mute button as a thought filter though. I'm wondering about how it would separate concurrent thought patterns.

I know that I would get my face slapped quite a few times if my random thoughts were allowed to escape into the world :lol::lol:

Ooops, sorry I didn't mean to say that!

I know that I would get my face slapped quite a few times if my random thoughts were allowed to escape into the world :lol::lol:

Ooops, sorry I didn't mean to say that!

DOOOD ... you have had the excuse to verbalize those thoughts since the diagnosed.

I do ! Of course , I was never that shy before either.

Glen, you are so right! And I'm sure nobody here is surprised that you would be the one to to point that out and (probably everyone in your town too!).:razz::razz:

nishant, are you back home? This is such an idea! I would be in trouble with it-I would need a censor button! :] It would be great for Web, he is always nice. :]

Yeah but Kay Marie, what is Web thinking? I bet he is a raging tornado inside! :razz::razz:

The quiet ones are always the one to watch for...unless you're my husband. He says he's quiet, because he's not thinking anything...literally, it's all quiet upstairs!:roll:

I plan to claim Tourret's Syndrome...

We were just watching The Big Lebowski, (in hi-def no less!)

I so enjoy that line where the Stranger, (Sam Elliott) says:
Just one thing, Dude.
The Dude (Jeff Bridges):
What's that?
The Stranger:
Do you have to use so many cuss words?
The Dude:The fu** you talkin' 'bout?

oh, oh snorting and lol! Web is truly that sweet :] I am the one with the smokin monkey's! I love the "Tourette's"! Yes indeedy, that would be my excuse!

This invention sounds great, but think of all its uses. What about people who commit crimes and then lie about them? Sounds better than a lie detector!
Blu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back