Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
KY
City
Lexington
Apparently today several studies from independent groups have come out about a possible link to sporadic ALS by cyanobacteria and a neurotoxin BMAA. Cyanobacteria is "blue green algae" and apparently is found in many lakes, oceans and the dessert floor (possible link to Gulf War Veterans). All of these articles are in the ALS Journal (Supp 2). I have not been able to access the journal to read the full article and I don't really have a question, I just thought I would put it out there in case someone wants add information they may have on the subject.

Sounds interesting to me. Hope someone with access will follow through and give us some details.

Thanks for the heads-up.

a doctor treating cancer told me this a few months ago

There is a past post about this, having in specific to do with a lake in New Hampshire (US) that has this blue green algae, and the residents who live near to it have a much higher incidence of sporatic ALS

YIKES! Web has spent his entire life obsessed with FISHING! Isn't blue green algae a health drink or something? YIKES! The good news is that IF it has some correlation then maybe we can find a CURE?! Can't wait to read the article.

I think it's important to keep in mind that this and related theories on ALS causation are not proven at this point and could be considered as one of many such hypotheses (the word such included especially here in part as Barbarawanda finds my usage to such, shall we say, effect).

It's certainly an interesting hypothesis and there is some data to support but it should be kept in mind that it could ultimately have no relation at all to what is occurring in sALS. I interested in seeing how this develops in future.

Here is a link to the special issue of the ALS journal dealing with the hypothesis that BMAA from cyanobacteria is the cause of sporadic ALS:

Informahealthcare.com

You can read summaries of several of the articles. Here is the abstract from the first article which is an overview:

Excitement about neurogenetics in the last two decades has diverted attention from environmental causes of sporadic ALS. Fifty years ago endemic foci of ALS with a frequency one hundred times that in the rest of the world attracted attention since they offered the possibility of finding the cause for non-endemic ALS throughout the world. Research on Guam suggested that ALS, Parkinson's disease and dementia (the ALS/PDC complex) was due to a neurotoxic non-protein amino acid, β-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA), in the seeds of the cycad Cycas micronesica. Recent discoveries that found that BMAA is produced by symbiotic cyanobacteria within specialized roots of the cycads; that the concentration of protein-bound BMAA is up to a hundred-fold greater than free BMAA in the seeds and flour; that various animals forage on the seeds (flying foxes, pigs, deer), leading to biomagnification up the food chain in Guam; and that protein-bound BMAA occurs in the brains of Guamanians dying of ALS/PDC (average concentration 627 μg/g, 5 mM) but not in control brains have rekindled interest in BMAA as a possible trigger for Guamanian ALS/PDC. Perhaps most intriguing is the finding that BMAA is present in brain tissues of North American patients who had died of Alzheimer's disease (average concentration 95 μg/g, 0.8mM); this suggests a possible etiological role for BMAA in non-Guamanian neurodegenerative diseases.

Cyanobacteria are ubiquitous throughout the world, so it is possible that all humans are exposed to low amounts of cyanobacterial BMAA, that protein-bound BMAA in human brains is a reservoir for chronic neurotoxicity, and that cyanobacterial BMAA is a major cause of progressive neurodegenerative diseases including ALS worldwide.

Though Montine et al., using different HPLC method and assay techniques from those used by Cox and colleagues, were unable to reproduce the findings of Murch et al., Mash and colleagues using the original techniques of Murch et al. have recently confirmed the presence of protein-bound BMAA in the brains of North American patients dying with ALS and Alzheimer's disease (concentrations >100 μg/g) but not in the brains of non-neurological controls or Huntington's disease.

We hypothesize that individuals who develop neurodegenerations may have a genetic susceptibility because of inability to prevent BMAA accumulation in brain proteins and that the particular pattern of neurodegeneration that develops depends on the polygenic background of the individual.

Here is another brief abstract which sounds especially promising:

Possible therapy for ALS based on the cyanobacteria/BMAA hypothesis

Although the cyanobacteria/BMAA hypothesis of the cause of ALS and other age-related neurodegenerative diseases remains to be proven, it is not too early to ask whether treatment would be possible if the hypothesis were correct. This paper reviews the possible ways that chronic BMAA neurotoxicity could be prevented or treated.

I cannot read the articles from home but I can if I go over to the UCSB library just a couple of miles from here. I will try to get over there at lunchtime and download some of them.

Hi Hal, Thanks for taking the time to look at some of these articles. I was only able to access the abstracts as well.

I know that this is only a possible link to ALS (in combination with a genetic predisposition) but it would be exciting if they found SOMETHING. I'm sure there are many other possible enviromental neurotoxins that they have not yet stumbled across. It seems as though environmental factors of this disease continue to be elusive. Unfortunately, if research does show this to be linked to sALS, I would think that it would be extremely difficult to control and to avoid contact with this substance. I don't know if it would prevent anyone from getting the disease in the future but it may help in finding therapies to slow or stop progression.

does this exclude familial ALS? i don't know which one i have......to my knowledge, my father's brother is the only member of my family had ALS

GlennaB, from what I understand, familial ALS is thought to be purely genetic. If you get the gene, you are pretty much guaranteed to get ALS "if you live long enough". I have seen cases here where people don't get it until their 80s though. If your uncle had it and you have it, your father was almost certainly a carrier of the gene. Theoretically that would mean that he would have gotten it (or will get it) if he lived/lives long enough.

Sporadic ALS is thought maybe to have a genetic component but their must be some environmental exposure. I saw a study where twins of people with sALS had something like a 30 times greater risk than the general public, which is still a pretty low number.

Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be a gene where say 50% of people who have the gene get ALS. It's always 100% (more or less). Seems like that should mean something but I'm not sure what.

Personally I can't think of unusual environmental exposures that I would have had to any aquatic bacteria. I have done a little fishing, and we live near the ocean so I've done some swimming there, but not as much as a lot of people.

thanks - there were 4 brothers in the family; however as far as i know - no one else, grandparents or the other brothers had it. my father died from cancer. i was hoping i didn't have familial. the doc said it was possible but he couldn't be sure.

I was able to look at some of the articles during lunch. This is a special issue of the ALS journal devoted solely to a symposium in late 2008 on the theory that a neurotoxin called BMAA produced by cyanobacteria is the cause of most sporadic ALS.

BMAA is an amino acid that is similar to glutamate, and is known to be toxic to neurons. Although it is an amino acid, it is not used to make proteins like most amino acids we are familiar with. However in some cases BMAA does mistakenly get substituted for another amino acid and gets incorporated into proteins.

Studies have found high concentrations of BMAA in this protein-bound form in the brains of PALS (and also in Alzheimers patients) but not in controls. This suggests that there is something wrong with the blood-brain barrier (BBB) in certain people, that they are unable to exclude BMAA from the brain as they should. They may also be more susceptible to this "mistake" of adding BMAA into brain proteins, which serves to concentrate the toxin in the brain. (This is suggested to be analogous to the disease PKU, where people cannot handle a certain amino acid, it is toxic to them. PALS would be like people with PKU except the amino acid we are vulnerable to is very rare and produced only by cyanobacteria.)

Once BMAA is taken up by brain proteins, it could have long-term toxic effects, in two ways. One possibility is that the proteins themselves will not work right because they have the wrong amino acids in them, so their chemical properties are changed. The other problem is that the body slowly recycles existing proteins, taking them apart and releasing their amino acids for future use. This would cause the brain to be continually exposed to a stream of toxic BMAA just from the disassembly of existing proteins. (Note that this process increases during weight loss, as the body consumes its own tissues, which would therefore increase exposure to the toxin, possibly worsening symptoms.)

As far as treatments, it is a tough situation because with the toxin bound up in proteins, many kinds of treatments could actually increase release of the toxin. One paper suggested steps to reduce exposure to BMAA from the environment. (It is not known at this time how prevalent it is, but it is possible that many kinds of fish and fish-eating birds could bio-concentrate BMAA in their tissues.) When BMAA does cross the blood-brain barrier, they know what kinds of channels it goes through, so one theory was to eat a lot of the other amino acids that also use those channels (Leucine was one, there were half a dozen or so), to try to keep the channels busy with good amino acids so they had no time for BMAA. However there was concern that the amount of amino acid that would have to be consumed would be too large to be safe.

An important goal of this research is to come up with a good animal model for the disease. BMAA is toxic in many species, but this theory has not been validated about incorporating BMAA into the brain and then being continuously released.

thanks hal - you're a pretty smart cookie:cool:

I agree with Glenna, nicely summarized. Thanks again!

Hal, THANK YOU! You are simply brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back