Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OHIO
City
Wickliffe
If you thought your exposer to an unknown toxic substance was causing ALS symptoms what medical test would you request?

An autopsy. After this length of time, nothing would show in blood or urine.

AL.

I will most certainly request an autopsy in writing as part of my will, plus my wife says she will be demanding one. Maybe it will help them determine a cause of ALS or like sypmtoms, seeing they really don't know much for researching this desease for over a 140 years!

My Neuro asks all his ALS patients ( at an appropriate time ) for a limited autopsy. All they need is a small section of brain tissue and a piece of spinal cord. This will help in his research for a cause. He needs the samples within 12 hours of death so it is important that your family knows your wishes.

AL.

Can your local dr. do autopsy, I was told Gary would have to be sent to London for the autopsy, and that would take a few days

I'm not sure. My doc at Toronto said they should have me back in town in a day. I can ask him for you if you'd like.

AL.

Yes- ask him please, Al. I read somewhere that you need doctors with a different set of skills to perform a criminal autopsy, for example. Makes me wonder if a local person could find all the neurological answers we seek in an autopsy.

Me, I have decided to give my body and brain to whichever research institute wants it. If any does, lol! :lol:

Most area hospitals should have a pathologist, a physician who is skilled in autopsies. If, by chance you live in a sparsely populated area, there still should be a pathologist on call for your local hospital. They shouldn't have to send you anywhere.

Lynn

My neuro did email me back and is sending me the protocol. I thought they needed the samples within 12 hours but it is actually 6. If you're in the boonies, that could be a problem.

AL.

Welcome here. I hope you will like the advise.I think show in blood or urine and ask your doctor.I think he told right answer.

Yes you should consult to a expert that make you feel better and clear your queries

Al;
I live in the boonies and I can tell you that even getting pronounced dead is lengthy! Sad but true. I would like to participate with the donation of my brain and spinal cord, since I am being cremated anyway. But it is what it is!
Patsy

I'm out in the sticks so to speak as well. I have to hope to die during the week because the pathologists don't work weekends. That's in Toronto too.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back