10/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Hello ALS-FTD Caregivers:
This seems to be the only thread for us caregivers for ALS-FTD. Somehow my favorite one is now closed.
anyhow, my husband is going to have serious dental surgery at the end of this week. Any advice to any of your loved ones with ALS-FTD going through dental surgery? The surgeon said no drinking through straws and his swallowing pathologist has said ONLY drinking through straws to prevent choking! will be lots to consider to make him comfortable post surgery.

I have found that he has broken every single 'rule' I have established with my husband. Like absolutely no cooking while I am away from the house. No taking a shower when I am not home. etc.
How do any of you handle this?

thanks for all of your advice ---to all of you caregivers out there!

I moved this for you. Threads close automatically due to inactivity. It is best to start new thread for a somewhat new topic. You can do this from the chosen subforum page look on left near the top

Drinking through a straw creates a bit of suction in the mouth. That can disrupt any fresh clots and cause bleeding after oral surgery or dental work. That risk will be gone after a few days. I would call the therapist who advised only drinking through a straw, explain the situation, and ask if other options such as using Thick-It or a kid's sippy cup would work for the time needed to heal his mouth.

I think as Diane says - thickeners or a sippy cup if he would accept one.

Regarding his 'breaking rules' - if I remember correctly you work during the week? Does you hubby stay at home alone?

Make sure the surgeon knows he is at high risk for post-surg site trauma and is noncompliant. S/he can plan incisions, sutures, accordingly. Ask about post-op antiseptic mouth washes and such that he holds in his mouth and then lets dribble out (under your supervision, of course). Have foods like ice cream, etc. that are filling so he doesn't get hungry and eat the wrong things while you are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back