Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
There is a PALS here that has been suffering from FTD as well as familial ALS. His doctor put him on aricept (the medication to help Alzheimer's patients). I was stunned at the transformation in him since the last time I saw him (about 3 months ago). I had lunch with him and his wife. It was wonderful. We talked candidly about the disease, equipment needs,etc. He was completely lucid and rational. His wife confirmed that the change has been as dramatic as it appeared to me. I just wanted to share this in case other PALS have not been offered this option. Possibly there are some side effects from the medication that would not be good for some PALS, I don't know. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Miss, that's wonderful news. I wonder if it will work on people who have artheriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).

Missy, that's really interesting. Everything I've read about Alzheimer's medications has said they are only marginally helpful, and early studies have shown the potential to do more harm than good. I'm glad it worked for them!

Before we were diagnosed with ALS (but after the FTD diagnosis) my DH had been prescribed Aricept, also. He took it for about 2 weeks and all of the sudden, he had this day where he was speaking clearly. No slurring, stumbling verbally......normally conversing. IT WAS WONDERFUL. The next day, he declined and I started to question him. Apparently, he had taken the meds for a week and a half and then decided to stop, without telling anyone. When we started again, we saw no improvements. I always wonder where we'd be if he had just taken his meds, as he should have. I should have been on top of it.

I just read about using this in cases of brain injury due to concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back