Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
Nikki mentioned this one just about a year ago here https://www.alsforums.com/forum/als-research-news/27387-microneurotrophins.html

They hope to bring it to Ph I next year.
Here's what Nikki posted:

Developed by Dr. Achilleas Gravanis, Professor of Pharmacology at University of Crete’s School of Medicine, MicroNeurotrophins appear to mimic the beneficial properties of neurotrophins—naturally occurring proteins that help motor neurons develop, grow, function, signal, and even repair themselves—but are also small enough to pass through the blood brain barrier and reach the motor neurons affected by ALS/MND. By contrast, ALS causes motor neurons to degenerate and die and ALS/MND patients experience a profound loss of neurotrophins as the disease progresses.

MicroNeurotrophins have proven highly effective and non-toxic in experimental animal models of three major human neurodegenerative diseases: Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. This initial research indicates that MicroNeurotrophins hold great promise for treating ALS/MND because they target the multiple pathways of motor neuron degeneration that are characteristic of the disease.

How do MicroNeurotrophins address the multiple pathways of ALS/MND?

Anti-Apoptotic
Apoptosis, programmed cell death, is responsible for motor neuron degeneration in ALS/MND. In both in vitro (cell culture) and in vivo (animal model) studies, MicroNeurotrophins have been shown to combat apoptosis by protecting and strengthening neurons.

Anti-Inflammatory and Autoimmune Inhibitor
Inflammation is the immune system’s defense against bacteria, viruses, and substances that are foreign and harmful. However, there is increasing evidence that inflammation accompanies the death of motor neurons in ALS/MND. MicroNeurotrophins’ powerful anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce, prevent, or even reverse this destructive autoimmune response.

Glutamate Modulator
ALS/MND patients are unable to properly regulate glutamate, a chemical that carries messages throughout the brain and spinal cord. Too much glutamate in the brain can be toxic and cause motor neurons to die. MicroNeurotrophins serve as an indirect protectant against excess glutamate through their ability to promote cell survival processes, increase neuronal signaling strength and as an autoimmune modulator.

Neuronal Signaling
In ALS/MND, loss of neurotrophic signaling causes neurons to die. MicroNeurotrophins prevent cell death by increasing neuroprotective signals that help neurons survive, differentiate, and grow.

Greg, I really hope that they do bring it to phase 1.

I'm so not the expert, but it sounds extremely promising. Is phase 1 humans?

God bless, Janelle x

I received an article and petition yesterday in an email. They said this drug was very promising and there were already a ton of signatures asking for the drug to be elevated quickly. I think any drug that shows to be promising should be allowed to be taken if the patient wants it with ALS. They should be legally able to sign off on liability and take it. I don't think just any drug should be elevated and any disease but not all of our PALS have the time to wait for three phase trials.

Janelle, Phase I is a very limited trial to test safety and dosage.

Phase I is more for doesn't kill/harm people, than dose-finding. So you really don't want to take something that hasn't been through that and more.

The existing animal models for CNS disorders such as PD, AD, MS, ALS have a history of not really predicting human response well. That is one of the reasons that CNS development is so slow. I can't count the CNS rx that have looked good in mice/primates, but not us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back