Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
I tagged this onto my original thread, but seems to have gone unnoticed.
-----------
This was forwarded to me by a third person as part of a clinic visit last week:

"Cedars-Sinai is in the process of signing up qualified ALS patients for a clinical trial of a device called a "Pulmonary Pacemaker.” It involves the surgical implantation of five wire probes into your diaphragm that are brought together and exit the body at a single point. They are terminated in a USB connector (just like on your computer) that remains on the outside of your body. A small, handheld, module is hooked up to the USB connector that controls the expansion of your diaphragm.

So far, the 50, or so, surgeries that have been performed have shown mixed results. One third were beneficial, 1/3 showed no benefit while 1/3 resulted in the patient wishing that they never had consented to the procedure. So. 2/3’s of the results were not positive. On top of this, 50% experienced a collapsed lung, during the procedure, that required re-inflation and an additional night in the hospital.

Ultimately, the benefit might be the extension of the time before the point arrives where one needs to be placed on a ventilator. The ability for the Pulmonary Pacemaker to work successfully is a function of the condition of the Phrenic Nerve. And, the Phrenic Nerve is supported by Motor Neurons, the cells that are faulty because of ALS.

Bottom line, D. does not want to undergo something that has several risk factors and that will have questionable benefits, at least at this early point of testing."

Very interesting.....my clinic doc seemed to feel that success was less than the risk, and that they were new in this procedure.
I have talked to a handful of people that liked their outcome.

Hi,
My Stepmother (bulbar) has had the pacemaker from cedars for about 3 months. She wears it 24/7. It seems to be helping. She was recently in the ER and her saturation rate was normal on room air. Before the dps her sats were dropping.

When do you look at something like this?

My ALS began with breathing issues due to the diaphragm. I generally do all right when I am upright but any "exercise" (walking, from the driveway to the house, lifting groceries etc.) causes me to loose my breath and cough like crazy. Additionally when I lay down it is difficult to breath, this showed in my last pulmonary test as well. And most recently I wake up with a headache that I m afraid might be oxygen related.

Ask about it NOW! The thing is you have to have a certain amount of diaphragm muscle function for it to work. They won't do it when your breathing is fine so you have to catch it on the way down. Too many people who wanted it missed the window of opportunity. If your breathing is already compromised I would call and ask, don't wait for your next appointment. Not everyone chooses to have it but you want the choice. And if you have it usually they do a feeding tube at the same time

Nikki,

Thank you. Eating is not a problem and I have actually gained weight (so much that I am not happy with myself). My Dr said I am unusual in the way the disease is presenting itself but 2 ALS docs where convinced it is ALS. I am awaiting resolution to insurance issues to be able to go back and will be moving to Pennsylvania where I will go to the Hershey ALS clinic. I will definitely bring it up there.

You do not have to use the tube right away. The point is both to save you two surgeries plus it is much more dangerous to have the feeding tube surgery when your breathing is weaker so they like to do it earlier. Good luck with the insurance and the move. Do you have an appointment at Hershey? Even if you are still working out details you should probably contact them if you have not already. It can take so long to get into some of the clinics

You need a bipap for sleeping. It will cure your headaches and trouble breathing while lying down. Laurie, lgelb, is the expert on these things and she has one for sale.

I just don't want to give into needing machines to live, it seems to final.

I just don't want to give into needing machines to live, it seems to final.

While I understand the sentiment and respect your decision, please look around you: without machines to keep us alive we'd be living in caves, bringing down game with arrows and cooking them over open fires. We would also have no healthcare at all.

It simply a matter of degree.

Greg,

Yeah I get it. It just sucks!

moral dilemma, and no answers :-(

Do we actually have healthcre in this country?

I'm glad you resurrected this one. This topic went by in one of the fb groups. By that point I had this to add:

I don't have personal experience but corresponded with the CALS of a PALS who was in one of the early trials.

The PALS had no interest in an invasive vent and felt that the DPS added years to his life (he has passed). He had zero regrets and considered the DPS as the most effective treatment he received.

Maintenance was no issue, they'd get it wet (the wires) and simply be careful drying it. Initially he could feel the 'pulses' (shocks) but after getting used to it, he would have to really concentrate to feel it work. He used it 23 hrs/day.

More info can be seen here: A Closer Look: Diaphragm Pacing System | MDA/ALS Newsmagazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back