Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Greensburg
We got a call today. My husband will be evaluated on August 23rd to see if he can begin Dexpramipexole.

I'm hopeful!

Please, post any positive Dexpramipexole stories!

Great news! My husband is being evaluated tomorrow! Good luck!

You can follow people on the dex trial at patients like me.

Emory called to discuss the Phase 3 Study of Dexpramipexole in ALS patients with my husband yesterday. We are hopeful that he will be included in the trial.

I got a similar message on my voicemail from Emory. I am due for another clinic visit soon, so I assume that we will talk more then. I had assumed that this was another stem cell call; but maybe dex....hope so.

I'm actually going in for my baseline visit for the dex trial tomorrow at Columbia (I found out that I was in last week) - fingers crossed I get the drug. I'll definitely keep everyone updated on how I'm feeling, if I think it's doing anything, etc.

I'm going in for my 2 month checkup tomorrow at Mass General. I'm going to have the 2-hour and 4-hour blood draws at that time.

I THINK I have the real thing and not the placebo... my progression has been slow to start with, and it doesn't seem like anything else is "going" at the moment. Very minor side effects with this med, so not sure if I have it or not. I take one pill in the morning, and one at night. I chose not to take Rilutek, so that wasn't an issue.

Some people mentioned that they're having sleeping issues: I realized that I was waking up a lot at night, but attributed it more to the heat wave/ac... but it may also be the Dex. I don't have any problem falling back to sleep. I feel tingling in my left leg at times, and do feel some cramping in my right leg. But no additional atrophy in the left, and right still looks fine, even though it's a weaker than it was last year.

My lower back pain in the morning is usually less than it was (arthritis and spine related)... and my BMs are looser since I started the trial.

Had some mild nausea around the second week, but that's gone. I think I've gained weight since I started on this trial, which bugs me even though I keep hearing we're not supposed to lose weight, I would like to be down to the right weight for me.

Helen, You said, "I THINK I have the real thing and not the placebo..." How GREAT is this?! I can't think of anything better!

Yes, if it is the real thing... the side effects are generally so minimal, they may not be related at all... but I DO think I have the Dex, otherwise, why did my back stop hurting as much in the a.m.? Sugar pills wouldn't do that, and that's not exactly something I heard about. I kind of wish I waited for the other trial... I've heard it's stopped progression "in its tracks" but not sure if that's a valid statement or not.

Good luck all! :)

I spoke to Emory today and they are sending the consent form to me today.

I will toss a coin since its 50-50 you get the real stuff; but that's not bad odds.

Ya, but at least you get to play the game. My husband can't qualify due to having onset of symptoms 09-07. If they are a "slow progresor" according to the doctors, I think they should be able to bend the rules. I am so happy for all that qualify, just :( we do not get to play! We did the NP001 safety trial, and were told we could do Phase 2, however, we missed out on 3 of the criteria. I am glad we did the Phase 1, but it was so heartbreaking not to get in to the game. On another note, the Ceft trial only needs 40 more PALS. HUGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back