Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
ca
State
ontario
City
richmond hill
Today i was diagnosed with ALS.The doctor advised me i am a perfect candidate for both trials.I would like to get some input.
Ceftriaxone has only 1 out of 3 placebo but is invasive becouse of taking it through IV.
Dexpramipexole is 1 to 1 but is taking orally.What would you do?

I would do the Dex trial, as it involves less travel to the clinics, and has less side effects. We are more than 2 yrs since onset of symptoms, so do not qualify for Dex, and traveling to clinic monthly for Ceft is not possible for us.

I have the same option...wonder how much promise either holds. Ceftriaxone goes into a catheter through the jugler vein which sounds pretty invasive. Also requires four visits the first month and monthly visits thereafter.

"I posted earlier about a drug trial for a drug I have been on for over 4 years. This drug works! I eat normally and need no breathing assistance. I can also bear my own weight for pivot transfers. Please get your loved ones in this trial if you can, especially if they are still ambulatory! A phase 3, approximately 800-person trial of a molecule called dexpramipexole (formerly KNS-760704) has launched; it will be conducted at multiple locations in 28 states and 10 other countries.
Earlier results from a two-part phase 2 clinical trial showed that dexpramipexole is safe and well-tolerated. Additionally, the experimental treatment showed a trend toward dose-related slowing of functional decline, and a trend at the highest dose toward extending survival.
Dexpramipexole's early development was conducted by Knopp Neurosciences (now Knopp Biosciences). In August 2010, the biotech firm Biogen Idec licensed the compound from Knopp and will lead the development of dexpramipexole for ALS.
To learn more, read the ALS News Online article."

This is what a guy on F a c e b o o k posted about the dex drug.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Sadiemae.

Im hoping to get on the trial for Dexpramipexole when it starts in UK, it was mentioned in my last visit to neuro in Jan this yr

I'll likely do dex trial if i am accepted. I guess it had some positive results in Germany about five years ago before being pulled.

Mom's neuro mentioned the Dexpramipexole trial at our last clinic visit. We go back in May so I hope that is still an option. For Mom the biggest thing about the Ceftriaxone was that someone would have to give that to her. With Dexpramipexole she can take it herself. That more than anything made her mind up about which trial to do. That plus not having to get a port.

Is the Dex trial going to be a 50% real drug 50% placebo trial? I didn't notice that before. I assumed it was 1 to 3 ratio.

Todd

I believe the dex trial is 50% placebo, but the clinic isn't authorized to release the details yet so not sure.

NP001 is another study that looks good. Phase 2 is getting ready to start soon. A third get a high dose, a third get a low dose and a third get placebo. From what I have heard, this could be the next rilutek. They are recruiting in San Fran, Kansas and Mass right now. We did phase 1, but do not get to do Phase 2 as it is almost impossible to get into any research if onset of ALS is past 2 yrs.

Chris -

it will be in the following locations in the UK [see clinicaltrials.gov]:

United Kingdom
Research Site
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Research Site
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Research Site
London, United Kingdom
Research Site
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Research Site
Oxford, United Kingdom
Research Site
Sheffield, United Kingdom

although sites are not recruiting yet.

Dan

Dexpramizole will also be recruiting in Ireland, out of Beaumont Hospital, later this month or next. We're not remotely eligible but look forward to hearing more about it. I appreciate so much those who participate in these trials.

Hal was accepted into the ceftriaxone trial and started it in October 2010. We think he is on the real drug, because he developed gallbladder "sludge", a side affect of ceftriaxone, after 6 weeks on the drug.

He has been on the trial for 5 months, and has continued to progress and weaken rapidly. Not encouraging.

Would work well, I expect, if the PALS actually had Lyme disease or some other infection that responds to ceftriaxone, and was misdiagnosed. . .but the hoped for mechanism - lowering glutamate - doesn't seem to help Hal. And again, there might be different forms of ALS, and some might respond to the ceftriaxone.

Hal thinks he will withdraw from the study when when he has the trache.

In terms of lifestyle changes - we have to cover the central line with plastic and waterproof tape when he is showering. He cannot submerge himself in water. We need to be regular about the times for the drug administration. We need to keep the syringes frozen. I need to be able to change the dressing and connector to the line every week. Administering the drug and doing the dressing change requires a very clean environment - way different from caring for a g-tube. Traveling is challenging. (The study protocol does permit a couple of days off for doing things if it is only periodically, though. ANd you still need to flush the line with saline)

It is not so difficult to comply with the study restrictions now, because Hal is restricted more by his weakness than by the study. But at first it did keep him from doing things he wanted to and could still have done - like swimming, showering independently, and traveling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back