PALS
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
Ravenswood
Hello to all,
I've been on the computer almost every day since my husband was diagnosed with als in June '06. I can see where one has to be careful NOT to fall for scams, etc.
Yesterday, I read on someone's post about Methylcobalamin and did my own research and I'm excited!

One quote from the research article..."Methylcobalamin should be considered for the treatment of any neurological disease. For example, based on its unique mechanisms of action, methylcobalamin could be effective in slowing the progression of untreatable diseases such as ALS".

Most of the scientific studies in this article were conducted in Japan. This is a natural and affordable therapy. I couldn't find it yesterday at our local drug store. I am going to look again today at Walmart. This is a form of B12. They recommend taking 25mg a day. It does not stop the disease, only slows it down. The study showed that methylcobalamin imporved muscle response after a month of treatment. A remarkable reversal of degenerating nerves occurred.

I'm excited! I called my husband at work to give him the good news. We're anxious to get started on this therapy. We will keep you posted monthly as to his results.

Anyone else ever hear of this vitamin? anyone taking this vitamin?

Patty

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a search on Methylcobalimin up top here you will see that some people tried it and have not posted great results yet so don't get your hopes up too high. If it hasn't hit mainstream then it was probably found to be unreliable or ineffective. AL.

thanks Al

Most posts of studies are pre 2002 that i have found. Test groups of 2,4 and 6 people are the bases of the claims. If anyone can find large scale studies and reports, i would appreciate.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a guy on forum last year that was going to start taking it. I've sent a message to him for first hand experience. I trust this guy's opinion and will report back when I hear from him. AL.

I've just started taking it...we'll see how it goes. I have drawer's full of supplements that don't work for me. And a bunch that do! Methyl is anecdotally as effective as Rilutek, a whole lot cheaper, and has no apparent toxic effects. I did a little survey on another site and found that this particular form of B-12 is one of the few things that helped the pals that are taking it, but the dosages taken are from 10 to 50 mg, not mcg.
MarkNH

Hi
This is my first time on this site since being diagnosed 3 weeks ago and I just want to talk to someone about where to begin some research on anything that may help slow down this disease - any help would be appreciated - I'm in the Chicago area (LaGrange) 55 yr old female

thanks

Linda

Hi Linda. Welcome to the site. There isn't much that really works. Rilutek is the only FDA approved drug and has anywhere from a 3 month benefit to God knows how long depending on what theory you subscribe to. Different supplements that others are taking can be found in the search feature. Co ezyme Q10, Creatine ,Vit C, Vit E, B12 are some of them. There are lots of others. Don't be swindled by the con artists that will sell false hope with expensive supplements. If you can't buy it in a regular health store and even that is no guarantee, then it is probably overpriced and not worth the money to print the label on it. AL.

I have been taking the ubiquinol (coq10) and methyl b12. I have noticed my arm and upper body strength improving and my leg atrophy has slowed as well. The energy level increase alone is worth taking. I take 5-7 5000mcg losanges a day of methyl b12 and 2 100mg ubiquinol tabs 3-4 times a day.

If anyone has low body temp issues... try the ubiquinol version of coq10..... my avg body temp went from 95-96 back to the 97-98s again immediately. I also notice the fasciculations and weakness is spreading slower up the legs... (although a stressful day or two and I lose a half inch of muscle off my legs and 10lbs...)

the ubiquinol works far better than the ubiquinone from of coq10. The difference in energy and strength in my hands and arms were much better. I can open my hands without issues and have been able to play video games again. hehe

Methyl version of b12

I wish I could find the methyl version of b12. All I can find in the major pharmacies is the cyanocobalamin form. Maybe in the smaller pharmacies or online would be better sources?

try your general nutrition stores.I called today & found it at the store called for the good of it ltd. hope this helps
Sharon

I order Methyl B-12 online from iherb.com, although I am sure there are other online sources as well. Their prices have been pretty good for the brand that I use.

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this information.

Lee

We don't usually allow ads but yours seems legitimate and I'd guess that you're not a salesperson for them. Welcome to our forums.

AL.

Anymore people trying this with some results? I just started giving this to my husband who is b12 deficent.But He only takes 1000mcg which is 1 mg.don't know how much to give.Neuro said it was ok to try since his b12 injections make him more tired.so I did some research & found this.he also has a homocysteine level that is normal but has been going up instead of down Keeping my fingers crossed.Today he said his stomach is burning,I don't think there is any side effects sure hope not.GOD BLESS ALL.
SHARON

My husband took this for several years. He took his in liquid/syringe form. His lack of muscle in the arm finally prompted him to stop the injections. He says now he doesn't miss it. He also took co q 10 in large lozenge form. Now he takes that in capsule form but only because I give it to him. I know it sounds great and we'll try anything. It didn't seem to slow down progression for my guy. Good luck.

My husband took this by syringe with dr. orders for several years. His lack of muscle prompted him to stop using it. He thought it helped with his energy level but did nothing to slow progression of ALS. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back