Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
NZ
State
NZ
City
NZ
Hey I have mentioned it before on this forum, but Last month my Neuro hubby came back from an MS conference in Sydney where they discussed an MS study that is using diethyl fumerate on MS patients. It is in phase 3 clinical trials. The study will be nearing completeion in the next 6 months. I am a clinical trial coordinator and have 7 patients on the MS study using the drug. The side effects have been minimal.
Any way the speaker at the MS conference said that in theory the drug should be neuroprotective in MND as well. We both just got back from a conference at the weekend and a speaker from the UK said exactly the same. These were both MS conferences, but I would love to know whether or not any of the pharmaceutical companies are going to look at it for MND.
It is used for advanced psoriasis in Germany, and has been for many years with some success. It is exciting news. My hubby is going to talk to a local pharmacist and see if we can import some.
Anyone out there heard anything about a possible study using it?
If so I wonder if we could get a study here in NZ?

Fingers crossed
Aly

Interesting post Aly. Keep us posted if you get any updates on the MS trial. Do you know whether the seven patients have had any positive results with the dimethyl fumerate?

Thanks John.
It is VERY interesting.
All our 7 patients have completed the phase 3 trial, but recruitment closed last year worldwide) in about May. They need to finish the 2 years before data is evaluated. That will be after May next year. They are at present doing data locks which is keeping me on my toes, which mean the results should shoot out rapidly. This excitement tells me that it may have been looking like a positive trial. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am really interested after these 2 neurologist mentioned that it may help MND. It certainly looks positive.

Will keep everyone posted when I hear stuff. I am going to try and get some anyway.

The idea would be that it is disease modifying and of course would not be a cure PITY.

Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back