Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
US
State
wa
City
enumclaw
Hi I am a new member.I was diagnosed in January of 2009. I have been selected for a clinical trial of Ceftriaxone. I am questioning the study and any results. I have not been able to get much information from the doctors so far on the sucess of this study. Is there anyone who is in this trial? Or anybody that know much about this trial? I would appreciate any information from anyone.

Hi Jerome, welcome to the forum, sorry you have to be here but welcome.
Please do a search for Ceftriaxone from the search engine above as there is heaps of info on it. There are several people on the trial at various stages who have reported on it here.

cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I have not heard how anyone is doing on ceftriaxone trial!

Thought I would share some info about me! I had posted before having a frozen shoulder and being unable to lift my arm to only my hip and loss of dexterity in my rt hand. That had improved to being able to reach my arm back to my but and waist area and being able to open a bottle and button a button. I realized the other day that I could lift my arm straight up, my arm pit that was sort of like and hallow cave is looking more normal. I can also cross my wrist behind my back without pain. I think the ceftriaxone is slow acting and that it takes months to really work and build up in the system. I am starting into my 8 month. I can't say any more improvement in other area's but I seem to be stable. My trial team thinks I am doing very well.

Please share if you are still on it or know someone who is. I would be interested in knowing.

Judy

That is sure encouraging.. Thank you so much for the update, continue to give us all of the details. Info is the key, so glad you shared with us, hope you can keep reaching..

Seranade,

How long does it take you to take the IV and how often do you get it?

Missy,
I get the ceftriaxone 2 times a day 8am and 8pm. It is done by IV pump takes about 20 minutes. Does not take time out of my life at all just has become part of it.
Judy

Hi all,
I entered the trial in April and felt pretty good for the first month, but have run into some issues lately. I was going to wait to see how they worked out before posting, but that may be a few weeks yet. SO, after about a month in, we had a family trip scheduled that involved flying and being out of town. In that situation, due to the difficulty of trying to take the drugs and pump on a plane, they allow you to take a drug holiday. So I was off the drug for 5 days and resumed when I got back. About a week after being back on I developed a reaction- itching and rash. Right now we are trying to figure out what happened. The study team has brought in an allergist and we are going to attempt to desensitize me to the drug so I can resume the trial. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll be out.
I suspect that the holiday was too long so early in the study - I hope we can work it out.
I posted on another thread that I was optimistic that it seemed to be slowing things down. I have been off the drug for two weeks now and I can say that I have really lost some ground in that time.
Tom

So, took a month for the allergist to come up with a desensitization protocol, we tried it last week, then I went back on full dose the next day - same reaction: flushed and pins and needles itching from my shoulders up. I tried to tough it out for a week hoping it would fade, but it hasn't and it is really uncomfortable. I went to the clinic today and I'm off the drug again until the lead researcher gets back from vacation. Doesn't look good- I'm ready to drop out of this.
I should say that I am allergic to several other antibiotics, but I seemed to be fine with ceftriaxone in the beginning - I think the 5 day break was too long and gave my body time to develop a reaction to it.
To others thinking of entering the trial: we had no problem with working the infusions into our daily routine and it really seemed to me that it might have been helping. I have no regrets about entering the trial and would do it again.

I've been trying to make a last minute decision as to whether I should keep my appointment to have the catheter placed (tomorrow) for this trial,and Judy's positive comments are persuading me that it is worth trying . . . Any new update as to perceived results by any study participants would be helpful to me right now!

Well I dont have ALS but my mother in law does she has been in this trail for over 2 months I just wished family memebers wouldve read up on this research I feel it just complicated things even more

please research before doing

hi to all.i m maryam from pakistan.my mother is diagnosed ALs in 2009/mow her condition is that she cant speak,not able to walk or sit and eat with great difficulty.in our country doctors dont know of such research of ceftriaxone.my doctor is saying to give him full information of cef along with its daily dose and route of administration.can anybody inform me abt it.thanks

I've been participating in the Ceftriaxone trial for 13 months. I developed "sludge" in my gallbladder as a side effect of taking the drug. I was prescribed Usordial to combat that. Several sonograms confirmed that the sludge was at least not getting worse. My dosage of ceftriaxone was reduced to twice a day for five days, and two days "off" to help reduce the gall bladder sludge. After 3 months of that I went back to 7 days a week taking the drug. When I started the trial in Oct 09, my only symptom was slurred speech. I'm the bulbar onset ALS type. At that time I had no difficulties eating or drinking. I could do 10 chinups, and run a 10k with no trouble. I was fairly muscular after regilar workouts at the Y for decades. I thought the drug could slow me enough to hold me till a proven treatent came along.

Now, a year later, I have lost 50 lbs, mostly muscle. I get all nourishment through a PEG tube. I communicate with written notes, but my right hand is about gone so the notes are harder and harder to write. I'm dropping out of the trial at the end of Dec. The pic line (Hickman catheter) was no trouble at all. I showered with mine all year with no trouble. You have to keep the medicine frozen til you're ready to use it, which can complicate vacation travel. We got pretty good at finding dry ice sellers in any large town we stayed in.

I don't know if my results are typical. I just felt that I was pretty symptom free when I started the trial, and was very disappointed to experience the disintegration in my body. That said, I was grateful to get into the trial. I intend to enroll in a second trial in 2011 (for tomaxifen +creatine) if I can meet the acceptance criteria. Clinical trials are the only hope we have. The science just isn't there yet.
Frank

Maryam
The dosage is Ceftriaxone 2g in 20ml sterile water, 2x a day via Hickman catheter and drug pump. And Ursodial 300 mg 2x a day. The Ursodial is to combat sludge in gall bladder, a possible side effect of the antibiotic.

fvwright, what is the name of the trial, and is it posted yet at clinicaltrials.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back