Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
wishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to behold
City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
wishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to behold
Default We'll meet at the bar

Thought about posting this in the religious section but I feel more comfortable doing my ruminations in a loud bar with a friend next to and a drink in front of me.

Even through the passing of my boyfriend my world view is unshook happy nihilism. In my opinion we only have the one life and after it ends we go to where we were before our birth (which sounds much better than "into nothingness"). Maybe that's the reason why I'm so energetic, I don't save up anything for the afterlife.

Dying is scary. The scarier the closer you get, I guess. So my PALS wondered about what would happen. The way I see it, nothing could have gone wrong in either scenario and I told him this:

If there's nothing, he's no longer suffering, he's not missing anyone, he's not regretting anything, his memory will live on with the ones who think of him. That's a pretty big memory!

If his dad (who died of ALS many years ago) would show up at his beside to accompany him to the other side, I asked to finally introduce us.*

If his spirit would be around for some time I happily invited him to haunt me. (I also wish he could have read all the lovely letters and emails I got. So much praise for him!)

If there's reincarnation he'll live a lazy life as a cat in a record shop.

If there's purgatory and then heaven, no problem. He was a good guy, cared for others, left no obligations and dependent persons behind, had no unfinished business. Standing in line for purgatory the bouncer would have opened the velvet rope and told him to go right through, enjoy!

If there's an afterlife then it's for eternity, right? I can't image eternity sporting linear time. So as soon as he got there EVERYONE else would already be there.

See? Nothing to be scared of.

I still don't believe in the afterlife but I understand it's appeal. It's so much easier than taking leave forever and you really don't have to believe in it. Just say: we'll meet at the bar.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wishmobbing For This Useful Post:
Angiegal (09-07-2018), frankb (09-16-2018), JimInVA (09-11-2018), KarenNWendyn (09-07-2018), littlered (09-08-2018), Lkaibel (09-11-2018), MarieLaure (09-07-2018), pittsburghgal (09-07-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:28 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Someplace
State: Ville
Diagnosed: 04/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
beauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the rough
City: Someplace
State: Ville
Diagnosed: 04/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
beauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the roughbeauty4everyone is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: We'll meet at the bar

With respect and sympathy for your loss. B.

Thanks from
wishmobbing (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Lkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud ofLkaibel has much to be proud of

At the bar in the afterlife

Hugs out.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:54 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Poquoson
State: VA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
JimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to all

City: Poquoson
State: VA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
JimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to allJimInVA is a name known to all

Indeed... looking forward to meeting at the bar... now, then or whenever. Elated at the opportunity to meet your boyfriend and his Dad. Personally, I do believe there is more. I want to advance to the level of laid back, empathetic, compassionate understanding that my dear Elsie (dog) had in life. I love now, but look forward to next. I am no longer religious... but cling encouragingly to spiritual. Life is a blast. Beyond life is likely to be an even more awesome adventure. Thanks for sharing your interpretation of this journey!

My best...

Jim
Closed Thread

Tags
boyfriend, dad, friend, life, problem, scared, wrong