Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
durblow
Hi,

I am hypochondriac and I easily get stressed over diseases.

About a year ago I had weird twitches in my arm and I went to neurologist and he did basic neurological exam and some blood work and said I am fine: I went second time few months later because I had weird tingling in both arms few times a week: he said I am fine. Everything disappeared. That was about a year ago.

Now, I again feel twitching in my left bicep that have been going on for a month on and off. It stopped in my left bicep and started in my right bicep and it is going away, and now I start feeling as if my left arm and leg are weaker.

Now, I had the same vague feeling of weakness on one side of my body before in the past (when I thought I was dying of brain tumor), so I am wondering whether this is stress or should I go to neurologist again?

Any way to get a clue on whether it is real weakness or not? Basically here is what I have: leg and arm on the left side feel more tired or even slighly sore, but when I go to the gym they perform as well as the right side. It is just that I feel they are more tired and weak. Sometimes in the beginning of this (about 2-3 weeks ago) I was able to forget about and the problem would disappear, but lately I think about it 24/7 and it seems to be there all the time.

Can ALS start simultaneously in both leg and arm on a side of a body? Or does it usually start in one limb?

I read that ALS incidence is about 1 out of 100,000 and out of those 0.03 are below 38 years of age and I am 28 so I was thinking at least odds are on my side...

Any suggestions?

I also wonder how do you start feeling weakness associated with ALS or MS?

Does it start with feeling of fatigue or weakness in the limb before the actual weakness sets in or does it come out of nowhere when you suddenly stumble and realize ur leg is weaker and you don't feel that is is tired, just weak?

It doesn't sound like ALS..... Are you taking anything for anxiety....

ALS-induced weakness is very real. It has nothing to do with how the muscle "feels tired" or "feels sore". The muscle simply refuses to function. One day you can move it -- the next day you can't. Because the muscle no longer functions, the part of the body that the muscle moves experiences that loss of function as weakness.

The weakness caused by ALS doesn't come and go, and it doesn't get better over time. It simply is. If your muscles still work, even if they get tired and sore, they are not yet affected by ALS. Start worrying when they stop working. "Vague feelings of weakness" are not symptoms of ALS -- ALS weakness is anything but vague.

But your whole muscle doesn't just switch off right away, does it?

If you have to ask a question such as "Is this ALS or stress" . . . then you have already answered your question. Couple that to the fact you are a hypochondriac, and the answer is even more clear. What you describe does not point to ALS. You have now gotten your question answered. GET OFF OF THE INTERNET . . . NOW. Go to your physician if these symptoms persist and let HIM/HER diagnose you . . . NOT google. I'm truly trying to help you here, as are the kind people who have already answered your thread. I wish you well.

Well, thanks for your help :) I will try to get it off my mind ;|

City: philadelphia
State: pennsylvania
Diagnosed: 00/0000
Re: Pulmonary Doctor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi my name is Michael, I think that all of you, especially the ones fighting ALS are remarkably strong people i am in awe of you... my father has als for past two years and is stable we have a great relationship... Im 25 m, and think ive been having symptoms of Pals, I have a little bit of excess saliva, when i read sentences aloud i have to stop after every other sentence and there is a pretty loud audible gasp for air... when I jog outside I spit aLoT of saliva up, and dont have alot of stamina like i used to a few months back.. also during the babinski s test my mom administered shes a PA my big toe did not go up kinda goes down but my other toes twitch a little bit some times up, sometimes to the side, Ive been under alot of stress lately and sometimes my toes on my left foot will start twitching and my legs as well, also my let rib cage sticks out more than my right, and my right stomachmuscles when flexed are strong and tight and my left side of stomach not as firm, I have a history of head trauma, bad falls, injuring of the back, because of sports and drunken foolish escapades.... so am pretty worried,, I see people like AL respond all of the time, you are the man by the way i pray for you and cindy, carol and everyoneone ALOT, i feel silly posting this almost selfish but would appreciate any feedback, thank all of you so much from bottom of my heart, hope to hear back, ty alot

Does not sound like ALS.. Please see a doc.. so you can clear your mind.

thank you for your reply hopingforcure, and taking the time to answer it, i just said a prayer for you, i hope theres more funding and attention for this disease, terrible to say but its almost as if it will take someone really famous to have it so theres more attention, more funding, better meds, i hope ur spirits are ok, ty.... I plan on seeing my doctor soon, if theres anyone else can respond would appreciate it, I now have flem for two days, but no cold, or sore throat..and so conscience of this saliva, did anyone have as their first main symptom excess saliva, are there any tests i can do at home?... ty all

thank you for your reply hopingforcure, and taking the time to answer it, i just said a prayer for you, i hope theres more funding and attention for this disease, terrible to say but its almost as if it will take someone really famous to have it so theres more attention, more funding, better meds, i hope ur spirits are ok, ty.... I plan on seeing my doctor soon, if theres anyone else can respond would appreciate it, I now have flem for two days, but no cold, or sore throat..and so conscience of this saliva, did anyone have as their first main symptom excess saliva, are there any tests i can do at home?... ty all

It can be stress: i had the same symptom a year ago when I was obsessing about ALS.

But your whole muscle doesn't just switch off right away, does it?

When the motor neuron that controls a muscle dies, the muscle stops working, so, yes, it switches off just like that. If it's a small muscle or part of a large group of muscles that do the same movement of a body part, you may not immediately notice the loss of the muscle because the function is only slightly impaired. If it's a big muscle or the only muscle that controls a particular type of motion, the effect is much more pronounced and easily noticed because there are no other suitable healthy muscles to take over the function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back