Fasciculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for everyone about fasciculations

I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, But I am from the South as South Mississippi. I have never heard the word fasciculations until my neurologist told me that was what I was having for over two years. The local folks here have always called them:
twitches
spasms
charlie Horses
catch in my muscle
fits
jumping muscles
everything but fasciculations
Amazing

Just curious. I know we have a unique language down here, just strange no one here ever heard of fasciculations. Thanks Yall.

God Bless,
Big AL
:-D

not so good day

hi everyone, this is my first time to write. i usually read all the messages and am helped a great deal. everyone is so helpful and patient. i was diagnosed a year ago aug. and have stayed fairly stable for the most part. i have limb onset in the right hand and arm. probably lost 70% of function now but still do most things by myself. this wwek-end i was overwhelmed with my loss. all the things i can no longer do. i felt like i wasn't even me anymore. do any of you ever have days when you just feel so sorry for yourself and all you can do is fight the tears? i am usually a very positive, up-beat person but every now and then this disease just overwhelms me. my daughter said i needed to get counseling. she didn't say it in an unkind way but is what i am feeling normal or should i get counseling? what are your thought...
thanks for listening. lrob

Hey Big AL. Fasciculations is just the big fancy medical term for twitches. I hadn't heard about it up here in Canada until I typed in twitches into a search field.

Hi lrob. Every one of us has bad days or dark days as I call them. You just feel as if a dark cloud is hanging over you. You feel sorry for yourself and think why me? what did I do to deserve this and the answer is nothing. No one knows why we get this or how. But we have to deal with it. How we do that is different for most of us but trying to maintain a good attitude is important. The longer you have the disease the easier it is to deal with it I think. That being said though I have had quite a downhill slide in the last couple of months and it is scary. From Dx in Oct 03 until now hasn't been bad but my hands have really crapped out on me and I can barely cut my own meat and feed myself.
But I look on the bright side. I can still drive and hold a glass of red wine on the patio in the sun and walk out there on my own. Counselling is a personal choice as well. I don't know where you live. Is there a support group nearby. Sometimes that is all you need.
Just talking with others in the same boat helps some people. Some need a bit of help from drugs and some need professional counsellors. I'd try the support group first. Then counselling if you start having more bad days than good. Sounds like you might just need a friend to talk to that can relate. Let us know how you make out. AL.

feeling overwhelmed

Hi Irob, Crying for me just usually makes me feel worse for some reason, but today in church when I felt terrible overwhelmed with everything and they started singing' He's an awesome God' I just lost it, but this time I felt a great release. So if crying helps do it. For me keeping a journal to vent in also helps. Take care. Barry
Hey everyone, I just found out I'm going to be a grandpa in april. My first grandchild, I just pray I make it that long. My daughter is 32 so it was about time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back