Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NC
City
Southern Shores
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced dizziness as a symptom. Not as a result of meds or treatments but a true out of the blue symptom.

Re: Dizziness

Hey Greg,

Yes, I have experienced it when I catch a cold or a flu bug. They just knock the crap out of me , and my energy levels plummet.

When I finally shake the bug , that symptom disappears.

Glen

i have a few times after using my bipap...

yes,i have had it on and off since i first got ill but it got worse a few years back.
i have syncopes/blackouts sometimes as well.
they sent me to a tilt clinic to test for automic failure but could not do it as my ecg showed i'd had a arrythmia,also blood pressure is very low.
i cut out ammitryptiline and lowered the baclofen but it did not help so its not the meds.
i definatley think with me its down to automic failure.
get the blood pressure checked,if its on the low side especially stood up and you get dizziness when you stand up it could be the automic nervous system.
also get blood tests done to check your not anemic(sp)i had these done.:smile:

Thanks for the replies.

Its not a low blood pressure type of dizzy from standing up (I call that a head rush) and not a light headed feeling. This was full on spinng type of deal and happened to me while driving. It was very brief and it occured twice on the road within a 30 minute span.

Then when I got home that night and laid down in bed I had that fast room spinning feeling. This lasted a few seconds and I had to sit up and open my eyes to make it stop. It happened two other times when I rolled over in bed that night.

That was a week ago today. It has not happened since but I have not felt totaly stable either and have to pay attention when I walk.

I have had all the battery of blood tests and have never had this type of feeling before in my life. At least not since the playground days when we had those little spin things where we would take turns trying to make each other the dizziest.

Anyway just thought I would share as it seems we are all experiencing so many different things but yet we seem to share a lot of common symptoms as well.

Yes Greg, Ed experienced several truly frightening episodes way before his diagnoses and before his first truly noticable symptom, speech slurring. I guess its very different for different people. Take care.

my husband has menieres on top of the ALS, so he is dizzy a lot. Cut down on salt and see if that helps

I am not sure about what I am about to say so I hope everyone will help me on this but for some reason I am thinking about getting your oxygen level checked . Does that not cause dizziness if it isn't right?

It is so strange that you posted this now. Over the past week, my husband has had days where the room will not stop spinning. It is worse on lying down or reclining in his power chair. Am anxious to share with him that others have experienced this.

it happens to me when my blood sugar is low

flyingasegles and wheeler641,

Yes I researched this and this would be a light headed type of dizzy and is common with low blood sugar and high CO2 low Oxegyn. You can feel this in your entire body.

Srikeout,

This is more like what I experience. A motion type dizziness that feels like its only coming from the head. The body does not feel different only the head. Wierd stuff. I have never been sea sick (I was in the Navy) air sick, car sick or had even the slightest vertigo but I have had the other light headed type and get that often. Who knows. Our bodies are a complex system.

1. Talk to your doctor about available medications. Commonly used treatments include Antivert, Dramamine, Valium and corticosteroids.
2. Stay away from caffeine, alcohol and tobacco. They restrict the blood vessels, which can aggravate dizziness.
3. Work with a physical or occupational therapist who can show you head and body movements that help relieve dizziness resulting from inner ear problems like acoustic neuroma.
4. Get appropriate rest. Lie down right away if you feel dizzy. Do not force yourself to carry on with your activities. This will worsen the episode.

You are lucky you can still drive, but you might seriously consider stopping until you get the dizziness under control. Good luck.

hi my partner had exactly the same as yourself and his neuro said he had postional vertigo he then did something called a epley maneuver it didnt hurt him and ever since he had it done he hasnt had any more dizzy spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back