Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
I've had my tube since January, and I find it clogs more than ever. Since I only put supplement and meds down it, I figure I'm getting close to needing a new tube.

Meanwhile, I found a little gizmo with a teeny brush at the end, and a flexible tube that allows you to get the brush close to the body. I have a clamp in the middle of my tube, and that's where the supplement gunk seems to build up. Next time I replace the nozzle (I'm on my third), I'm going to take the clamp off and clean that area too. (The brush won't go past the clamp, so I have to move it down close to my body to clean with the brush.

It's made by Bard, and I got mine for $16 from some vendor but can't remember who. I found one for $21.

I'm also going to try using a little baking soda in water to see if that will sweeten up the tube a bit. Don't see why it wouldn't work.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Beth, I am interested in the tube cleaning brush but the website that you posted doesn't ship outside of the US so I am going to try to find one from another supplier. I don't have any clogging but there is a build-up of a white-ish deposit near the end where I kink the tube (no clamp on my tube) and I'm hoping that the brush will clean it out.

I also found a link to a pdf document called "Navigating Home Care:Enteral Nutrition—Part One" which has a lot of useful imformation about peg tubes. On the left hand side of page 21 it explains how bicarbonate of soda and water can be used to dislodge a clog in a feeding tube. Just don't use baking soda and vinegar!

There is also useful information about what Medicare will pay for as far as enteral nutrition. It is probably not news to you but others may find it useful.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutritionarticles/barnadasarticle.pdf

I have not tried this yet , but have to tried Coca Cola ?

Glen

When I was in hospital the nurse blocked my tube because she had not dissolved a tab enough . The peg nurse came and unblocked it with a thin bottle brush type thing on the end of a wire . I have a 16 fr tube so need a smaller brush . xx

We found with Ken's peg tube if it got plugged with meds, If I backed the syringe of a bit,it would unblock.

I've used Coke (and still do), but tmasters on another thread posted that it can be a problem if it tries to unblock protein. However, it still works for me most of the time. I sometimes alternate Coke with very warm water, pouring out the Coke and water if nothing moves. Usually by the second funnel of Coke things start to move through the tube. You have to let it sit and fizzle for a few moments.

Flushing the tube with water really well after feedings is important, but if you're full, too much extra water can be too much. As Barry pointed out, too, with rich supplements, you sometimes get a coating. I have that right below the nozzle and around the clamp.

Of course, if you've got a blockage and don't have time to fuss, using the plunger takes it right away. I don't have strength to push it in and out, but I can get it inserted, and then hold it against the wall and lean on it! Low tech solutions from a low tech brain. :)

Kenneva ... my caregiver is a miracle-worker with the peg, and can usually manipulate the funnel and the tube just right. I'm a little ham-handed, however. I actually have trouble getting the funnel all the way into the nozzle, so that could be part of my problem. That's a good tip, however. It's amazing that even with little glitches, the PEG simplifies life so much, it is a true blessing.

We have not thad any problems since I have ben using the pill crusher that Joel recommended. I know it is on here somewhere...not sure where though.

That looks great, and easy!

I've been using a mortor and pestal, and discovered that if I add a little warm water then let it all sit for a few minutes, the pills dissolve completely. I guess they're designed to do that. I had been working really hard trying to break down some of the hard coated pills, but they, too, dissolve very quickly if ground down and left alone in water for 2 or 3 minutes, I learned.

Time release pills are a different matter, alas.

I found a web site that sells the brush and would send it to me outside of the US. The cost was $13.95 for the brush and $22.00 for shipping and handling! Anyway I ordered it and I hope it works.

I will have to get one of those brushes. My hubby's tube is really gross. He was taking so many crazy supplements..I swear they turned to rock ..and will not disolve. I have also noticed that the tube is kind of getting deformed. He is a nervous wreck about getting the tube replaced..so maybe the brush will help. Thanks guys and gals.

This is the cut and crusher I use :)

pill_master.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the web sites that BethU and BarryG bought the brush? How come I couldn't find the web sites? I looked through Bard web site, I don't think they sell it to individuals. Also what size is the brush? My Dad's tube is 16Fr. The Bard brush list on Bard web site is for 20Fr.

Thanks for any info! If the forum doesn't allow posting web site names, please PM me. Thanks,

DB

The CVS brand pill crusher is a pretty good one too.

What is the web sites that BethU and BarryG bought the brush? How come I couldn't find the web sites? I looked through Bard web site, I don't think they sell it to individuals. Also what size is the brush? My Dad's tube is 16Fr. The Bard brush list on Bard web site is for 20Fr.

Thanks for any info! If the forum doesn't allow posting web site names, please PM me. Thanks,

DB

DB, sorry I missed your question earlier. I ordered 1 brush from a supplier based in Miami here is the link to the company where I bought mine but I only bought from them because they are the only ones who would ship to me in Canada.
Peg tube cleaning brush 000396

There are other suppliers too, just google Peg tube brush and you will find them and yes they will sell to you. The only thing is the size, mine is a 20F so if you have a 16F that may be a problem. Sorry I cant be more help.
Barry

Barry, thanks for the info! I will google to find a brush for 16Fr g-tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back