Anyone with a clean EMG that still got ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorka

Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Merced
Went to the ALS center at UCSF. It was an all day event. Thorough nuerological exam followed by an EMG and then the follow up. The EMG was completely clean. The nuerologist said that although I had symptoms that were consistent with an upper nueron nueropathy or degeneration that because my EMG was completely normal that I do not have ALS. Not only that, she said that there had been a large study done that showed that nobody who's had a clean EMG has ever developed ALS within 10 year after having the EMG, yet I still see posts from people here saying they had a clean EMG but then went on to develop ALS.

The nuerologist is still going to work with me to find out what's going on. I'll be getting more MRIs and then an LP, but she's positive it isn't ALS. They're a research center and really really seemed to know their stuff.

Mind if I ask what symptoms sent you there in the first place? AL.

sorka said:
Not only that, she said that there had been a large study done that showed that nobody who's had a clean EMG has ever developed ALS within 10 year after having the EMG, yet I still see posts from people here saying they had a clean EMG but then went on to develop ALS.

The nuerologist is still going to work with me to find out what's going on. I'll be getting more MRIs and then an LP, but she's positive it isn't ALS. They're a research center and really really seemed to know their stuff.

Either you misunderstood or your doctor doesn't know what she's talking about. Plenty of people with a clean initial EMG have gone on to be diagnosed with ALS. My initial clean EMG was done at an ALS center by the head of that center. If what your doctor said was true, no competent doc would ever order another EMG for suspected ALS within 10 years of the initial clean one. But they do.

I have been having fasculations all over my body but mostly in my legs for the last 2 months, no weakness, but my legs do fell stiff and tired. I had 3 emg's done about 5 years ago and was diagosed with bfs. This time feels a little different. I had an emg done last week and it was normal except for fasculations. I still worry about als. Should I be worried? Do people have normal emg results with als?

I have been having fasculations all over my body but mostly in my legs for the last 2 months, no weakness, but my legs do fell stiff and tired. I had 3 emg's done about 5 years ago and was diagosed with bfs. This time feels a little different. I had an emg done last week and it was normal except for fasculations. I still worry about als. Should I be worried? Do people have normal emg results with als?

If the fasciculations were caused by ALS, it would've shown up on the EMG. Fasciculations in ALS are the result of denervation so the muscles sort of act on their own untill they vanish. With BFS, twitches can show up.. but with no abnormalities ( like denervations or other dirtyness ) it is benign and you do not have ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back