Do you find Personal Care Workers Help to make the care of a loved one easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elo

I have been told by husband's Physiotherapist and Occ. Therapist that I need to have a personal care worker come in to give me a hand. My husband and I are reluctant. Has anyone found that this has helped them. My husband needs help getting up to a sitting position and I need to move him around with a hoyer lift. Sometimes he needs help with eating a meal. Could someone please give me some ideas as to how anyone at this stage cope? We are in the Ontario, Canada area, thanks, Elo

I'm not too sure what a personal care worker does exactly, but we have nurses that come on at night time to help out with my dad. It is so great for my mom because it gives her a little break and allows her to get some rest. We also have nurses and a helper that come sometimes during the day to help out and this lets my mom get out and get some errands done. I think you really need to do these things for yourself, as a caregiver.
Dana

ELO,

My husband and I have a personal care worker and she is wonderful. I was like you at first I did not want this. I wanted to do everything on my own but it is very hard to do everything on your own. She is very kind and caring and helps us so much. It is very painful to be in this and I understand how you feel. Our care worker is like part of the family now, she helps us keep smiling on days when we feel like there is no smiles.

hope.

Hi Dana, thanks for your reply. It is good to know that having helpers and nurses really helped your mom, will be trying this out next week, take care, Elo

Hi Hope, thanks for your reply. it is good to know having a personal care worker halps and that she is like part of the family now, will try this out next week, Elo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back