Not open for further replies.

kelly

Country
US
State
ny
City
saratoga springs
Well today was almost a normal day! It was a gorgeous day in upstate New York. I was able to get my hubby in our pool..and he enjoyed himself for over an hour. It is quite a site..life jacket, foam noodles propped for extra flotation. Our boys were playing with him in the pool. Almost normal..right. Well, I safely got him out of the pool and was getting ready to shower him. All of a sudden his wheelchair started moving by itself without him in it...yes we thought we were being visited. After the shower we got him back in the chair and it started to drive by itself. I turned it off..reset..and thought we were good to go. I loaded the whole family up to attend a local college league baseball game. We have a college student that plays ball living with us this summer. Anyways, we got out of the van and the chair started having a mind of its own again. I had the backpack, chair, kids gloves, bike when I noticed my husbands chair heading off the sidewalk into a chain linked fence. Amazingly I was able to get to the chair in time and turn the power off. When I turned it back on it was totally dead. Meanwhile the kids ran off to watch the game. I kept telling myself stay calm we can figure this out. Well, I manually had to push the chair back (my hubby weighs 200 pounds) plus the chair. Had to call some neighbors to help push him up ramps to our house. I realized what happened was when I showered my hubby I left the chair to close and water got into the power unit..oops! I used a hairdryer for about 30 minutes and it is good to go. We should all write a book about the crazy situations we get ourselves into and out of...thought I would share.

LOL. Glad it had a happy ending!

Wow Kelly, it does sound like a scary episode, "The Case of the Possessed Powerchair". Who knew that a hairdryer could be useful for more than looking fabulous? I'm glad that you got it figured out and no harm was done (other than your frazzled nerves :shock:)

Your story reminds me of an old car I inherited from my dad when he passed away. It didn't drive itself away but everything electrical in it (heater, radio, lights, windshield wipers) had a mind of it's own. I would be driving along and all of a sudden the spirit of my dad would make all kinds of strange things happen like the wipers starting up on a clear sunny day or the heater cutting out when it was minus 30. And there was not a thing I could do about it. My dad was a young man during the depression so he was very frugal, I think that he was trying to tell me that I should stay home and not waste the gas.

Sounds like quite the day yesterday! Glad everyone is okay and you got the chair minding again! LOL

Hey, Barry-

I think I saw that episode on "The Twilight Zone" !

Was that car named Christine Barry? My chair quit on me a couple of weeks ago at the movies (Transformers) Went to leave and no go. Tilt and leg rest still worked so knew it wasn't batteries. Showed E100 error code. Son in law pushed me out and up ramp into van. Called home and wife called chair company service. They called back to say computer was fried. They picked it up next day and brought it back same day. Thanks for 3 year warranty. Good thing wife and I weren't out alone. She would have never got me into van. God looks after fools and little children.

AL.

Well said Al...we are fools and have little children! Hee Hee!

Very strange Kelly! And yes we are fools with children!

I just wish my kid that is 50 now would stop acting like a child! LOL

Al, the car was named BUC for Big Ugly Chevy. It was kind of like Christine but it wasn't nasty, just weird. I am glad that you were able to get home with your malfunctioning chair, thank goodness for good service. And as far as fools and children, ok, I have both hands up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back