Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WI
City
Milwaukee
I'm still in shock, but my 68-year-old father was diagnosed today after what seems to be a rapid decline. He has difficultly swallowing and speaking and has little control of his right arm and leg. 3 months ago, he was walking and moving fine.

I'm not sure where to go for help. My mother is stunned to the point of inaction.

I'm an adult with a husband and son and I live 3 hours from my parents. I don't know where to turn to assess my dad's prognosis and the speed of the disease. If he continues to decline as rapidly as he has been, I fear that we have little time.

I'm reading of necessary medical devices and my head is spinning. I don't know where to start. Are local support groups the best option? I suspect these are people who have "been there done that."

Any advice to get through the initial shock? (and pain, and anger, and...)

Welcome lisaann! I'm so sorry about your dad's diagnosed. I'm new to this disease as well. My husband was diagnosed in Jan 09. I just recently started coming to this site. You did good by coming here and posting. I'm sure you will get lots of good advice on where to go for support and help. I've learned a lot just by coming here and gotten lots of support.

Hang in there!
Judi

Get in contact with the nearest ALS Center. They have a lot of the information you need , and a loan cabinet that lends out equipment when available.

Its a start.

Glen

Hi Lissann. If you go to www.alsa.org and then In Your Community you can then put in your postal code to find support services in your area. You can also check at the MDA website.

AL.

Thanks to all of you. I'm feeling much more confident and positive after reading a million threads on this site and after contacting the ALS Association. I suspect I'll be around this forum much more frequently.

Fortunately there's a monthly support group meeting at my local chapter this Saturday. I'll be the first one through the door!

I'm also amazed at the support family and friends have offered. I feel truly blessed.

Thank you!

Oh how wonderful, that is what we are here for.. That is poetry in motion.. I am so glad we will have you more often, this is about the most wonderful group around.. I consider it an honor to have friends with such strength and I am sure you will also.. You sound like a special person already the support group will be blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back