Diagnosis
01/2009
Country
US
State
ct.
City
hamden
hi i have a problem--i need some advice ,at this moment i work two jobs ,my first job works with me alot with certain things for me to complete my job my second job involves lifting and quite a bit of walking my wife says that i need to hang on because that job pays certain bills i know that she wants me to hang on longer but at times i just get tired and need to sit down.i need to know if someone has an opinion about this and can maybe advise me on this issue i have pma

Well, I'd be asking myself how the PMA is being effected by working two jobs. My thinking is your body is in need of more rest than it was before PMA.

If working 2 jobs is accelerating the progression of things, I'd make haste to quit one.

How about this reasoning? If working 2 jobs is exacerbating your condition and quitting one of them will allow you to be in the workforce longer, why not quit working one of them?

I would ask your doctor about this and get his/her opinion.

The argument for your wife might be (if you need one) that if you continue to work 2 jobs, you may not be able to continue in the workforce for as long as you would by working only one job.

Good luck!

Zaphoon

PMA and fatigue

Dear JOJO

One year ago my husband had to stop working due to PMA and mostly because his diaphram, breathing issues, has been affected. He lost use of both arms and now is collecting SS. The good news is that over the past year he looks better, has gained back the 15 pounds he lost (initially was 200 + pds. of muscle, now keeping steady at 173)

Fatigue plays a big part in this stinking disease and lifting heavy things etc. would be something I would discuss with neurologist regarding pros and cons.

Since he cannot work, I work outside the house three 8 hour days a week. Have spread it out M W F so that I am home for him T and Thurs.

Good luck

Patty

Patty,
You are sure a loving Cal, I look at you ladies and gentleman taking care of us, and it makes me weepy.. This board has enough love to move mountains, and I think it does..

thank you

Thank you all for your input, i will take that into consideration and pray on an understanding with my wife about this pma thing and what kind of effect it would have on me.She is understanding but her interest is our financial situation but i beleive that things will be alright.

thank you
jojo99

jojo , just a thought. What will your financial situation be like if you strain yourself doing two jobs and shorten your lifespan by doing so?

you do have a point my life means a lot to me

This is all part of the adjustment period with the disease. My wife and I both worked full time and she earned a significant income. Of course one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind was the loss of her income and how it was going to affect our lifestyle. We have had to make some changes in our spending habits and let go of the "more is better" attitude and make due with what we have. I feel guilty now that I think back and I probably pushed her to work (pre diagnosis) beyond where she should have. Thankfully we had disability insurance on most of our major debts and they are now making our payments but even without it we could get by, just no extra at the end of the month. You just have to decide what is more important to you.

Do not punish yourselve in doing two jobs! I did not want to stop working untill my companie forced me. I was stupid to want to stay. Now that I have time to rest, I realize how much I have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back