Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
HI
City
Hilo
Aloha - its been awhile...................... seem to be progressing faster than I would hope! My right hand has limited use, I can't write or "pinch anything" and have very little strength in my arm, so my left hand is getting a major workout! My walking has deteriorated to just a few steps here and there, but still able to get around holding on to things.

My shoulder is giving me the most trouble - it seems to pop in and out and I have pain lifting my arm, or pulling on my arm. It makes it hard to sleep. The pain is in my socket/muscle area - if I keep my arm down there isn't pain - any one have suggestions? I've been trying to do range of motion exercises but it's too sore now.

I'm still reading all of your posts, you are all so helpful and have wonderful, inspirational stories.:roll:

Mahea

ot/pt

Hi

So sorry you are having pain in that shoulder. My husband has an OT (Occupational Therapist) friend of family, and she comes and exercises, ever so gently. One thing I heard her mention was not wanting him to get frozen shoulder. You might want to google and then let your doctor know what is going on and how they could help you.

Will say a prayer for your pain.

Patty

Mahea,

I can't know personally about your shoulder of course but I have heard of a condition called "shoulder subluxation" in individuals who have had a stroke. The shoulder joint is shallow and when the arm has significant weakness or atrophy, gravity causes stretching of the joint and allows the ball to slip in and out. This can be painful. I would check with your doctor or your physical/occupational therapist. There are some techniques they can show you such as taping that can help if this is the cause of your shoulder pain.

Dana

I had shoulder pain before but close to my diagnosed. It was fixed by a cortisone shot. Might be worth asking about.

AL.

Aloha Mahea,

I have the exact same problem. My doc said my shoulder is subluxed because atrophy of the arm muscles has left my arm hanging from the shoulder by tendons. ROM exercises haven't helped me much either and it's really only comfortable if I leave it alone. What helps me the most is keeping my arm propped on the arm rest of my wheelchair as much as possible so the arm isn't pulling down on the shoulder socket. I sleep on that side but with my arm turned into my chest so that I'm resting on my shoulder blade not the socket.

Aloha: Thanks for all your thoughts and comments I see the doctor May 1 and will bring up your suggestions. It sounds like its just part of dealing with my body objecting to this disease.

Mahea

Mahea,

I have a lot of shoulder pain too - often times it feels like joint pain because, like you say, it doesn't hurt as much if I keep my shoulders down.. My doctor says though that it is purely muscle pain & didn't think cortisone shots would be helpful (Al - would be interested in hearing more about your experience with this). I have a lot of pain from spasticity, but my shoulder pain is particularly acute - I describe it sometimes like a really bad toothache in my shoulder. I take 80mg baclofen, 5-6 vicodin a day, 1-2 valium at night. One problem I have is that I have always slept with my arms under my pillow at night, which exacerbates my shoulder pain.. trying to avoid that, but old habits are hard to break.

Please share if you find something that is helpful!

Take care,

-Rob

Mahea,
I have a very similar story and hove found this thread so helpful. I sleep with my hand under the pillow and if I prop a pillow behind my back so the weight isn't mostly on shoulder it's ok. I still ake up in a few hours having to roll over.Keeping somehing under elbows has really helped too.
Thanks everyone!
Kris

Aloha: I appreciate everyones help -much more helpful than the Dr. was! I get a lot more positive info from all of you. Mahalo!

I was having major shoulder pain when sleeping... I got a 4" memory foam topper for my bed. My husband positions me and I sleep all night now.

Sharonca

shoulder pain

I had shoulder pain before but close to my diagnosed. It was fixed by a cortisone shot. Might be worth asking about.

AL.

I had shoulder pain i insisted that the doctor give me a cortisone shot. The shot help a lot. sometime i sleep with a pillow under my under my arm.

Carmella

I agree with Al; Cortisone shot is very helpful. If you don't want to go that route consider talking to your PT about iontophoresis patch with cortisone. It's also very helpful but not as much as injection. Patch goes on your shoulder for 24 hours, corticosteroid solution and saline added to the patch righ before application.
Hope your shoulder feels better, Cookie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back