Stem Cell Trials at Sunnybrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieD

i've volunteered to take part in study of stemcell research at sunnybrook. Dr Cashman has got full funding and needs 5 volunteers and someone to head the study. i'm volunteer number 4. this is not embryonic stem cells. the stemcells come from our own bodies. is anyone else in the toronto area interested? i thought i'd put the word out! :D

Hi Debbie:

I spoke with Neil about this "autologous stem cell" trial over 2 years ago. He was very excited about it and I'm glad that it has reached the clinical phase. It's been in the works for some time.
Good luck to you, Dr. Cashman and everybody else involved!

Cheers

T.

Al mentioned something about this awhile ago but I don't recall all the details, sorry Al, I was listening and reading, but I am having a seniors moment, they are coming more rapidly these days. In lay terms, could the group elaborate. I know the commitment is 6 months, and many visits to the doctor, but what it the protocol and expectation from these trials.
Thanks

If I am correct they do a series of lumbar punctures to remove cells from your spinal fluid clean them up shake them around and then inject them back in in the hopes that they will grow new cells in the damaged areas. There are quite a few visits to hospital for blood tests as well as EMG's and possibly nerve conduction studies done. Won't be a picnic as they are not 100% sure that it will do no harm. EMG's are not a picnic either. I don't think Dr. Cashman would try it unless it was as they say a manageable risk. I think this in simple terms and it is quite a bit more complicated than this Think that's about it in a nutshell though.

Hi Guys:
If I recall correctly, he separates the stem cells out of the substrate and treats it with a growth hormone before they go back in. I'm not positive but I think that this is one of very few clinical trials using stem cells... its very exciting. While autologous stem cells are not as potent as the embyonic ones, they certainly bridge the gap for those who are fundamentally oppossed to using embryonic stem cells and opens up the research potential for wider applications.
Off the soap box now... I hope that all of you east of Lake Huron are getting ready for the snow!
T.

No snow, no snow, no snow.....I'm practicing the positive thinking and imagry thing :)

Speaking of EMG's.....what all is involved in that? That's one of the tests I am trying to convince Nathan to have. -me-

Good Morning Melissa, and all,

Nathan really needs to have this emg test done. This will certainly give the docs some clear insight as to what is going on with him. They need to get to the bottom of this. The test is long, and they basically test the nerves with tiny electrical impluses that somehow measure the conduction and strength. (right Tbear?) It has been 7 years ago that we had this test done, but, about a week after we got the confirmation that indeed it was this als thing. I told you before, if you need help in seeing Dr. Strong in London, I will definitely help you out, do not hesitate to call me, okay. Now Theresa, I had first dibs on Al's suitcase ! Maybe he has room for 2 ! I don't think Lee would mind, she would have someone to go shopping with while "fat bastard" lounges around the pool ha...... I am gonna keep on daydreaming about when I can go mmmm....
Have a good day all..talk soon.

Love, Carol

OK Bill Nye the science guy. Showing off your scientist knowledge. LOL. So when are you flying by Brampton or did you not read my post from last night.

The EMG test is not fun. Little electrical impulses ? (like sticking your finger in a light socket 15 or 20 times) The nerve conduction is fun too. They stick needles in you and move them around in your muscles and watch the computer screen to see which screams first. You or the computer. Actually it is not as bad as I make it out to be. Just playing silly ass again. Dr. Tullio did my test at the hospital himself and told me right afterwards that it was ALS. I think that is better than having a technician do it and having to wait for an appointment later. You need both tests to get a (confirmed ?) diagnosis from what I understand.

As for Cuba. I won't be scuba diving so will have a dive bag that is empty. Would the 2 of you fit? It can only weigh 44 lbs. so a quick diet may be in order to fit 2 or chop off both of your legs. Actually the trip was fairly reasonable 1 week all inclusive at Sierra Mar in Santiago de Cuba for $740 per person tax included. Maybe you can all come and we'll have an ALS seminar while at the pool bar. More the merrier. Oh and and another thing. Not much shopping in Cuba other that T-shirts rum and cigars so Lee will be at the bar with me as well. Take care everybody. Al

i didn't find the emg test too bad except for the one shock in my neck, but it was over before you have a chance to react. at one point when dr. newell had me roll over onto my right side, i told him i was afraid that i'd fall asleep. he said he's had a couple of patients that actually fell asleep! he had me laughing! :lol:

... see, you guys aren't ready for me to be technical! I pass all this stuff past a friend who is a research scientist in cell biology. She knows all the terminology...
Al, they won't let me back into Brampton... something about a low and over in the picnic area...

Carol, I think you are correct about the EMG. Its a way of testing the nerve function. For anybody who's done electricals... its a continuity test. You put a probe at one end of a nerve and another probe at the end of it and see if a current travels through. If it does the nerve is good. If it doesn't it's damaged. In our cases, like the MRI, you kind of hope that they find something wrong with the nerve.

Melissa, you are on the wrong side of the lake for the snow this time... but thanks for the help!

Okay Al, basic Cuban... "un cerveza mas, por favor". I'm not sure you want the other one that I know... I tried it with one of the guides and got kicked out of the country... apparently I tried to hire his sister... but would settle for his horse! Cubans are very nice but apparently don't have much of a sense of humour. If you want to get on their good side... bring extra toothpaste and soap and stuff that you can give away to the housekeeping staff... they really appreciate it!

T.

OK if Brampton is out I can get you an arrival and departure clearance for Burbank International which is a little farther but I am friends with the owner.

As for Cuba I am a little rusty as I haven't been in 3 years but my son worked there as a scuba diving instructor for 4 years so I learned basic spanish. I could ask for food booze or sex and directions to Sierra Mar in spanish. Chris tried to start his own business there but the gov't wants everything and gives not much in return. We have driven the whole length of the country from Santiago to Havanna twice (1000km) each way. Fun WOW. You are right about the Cuban people. The most accomadating people I have met and friendliest but no sense of humor.
We had a Cuban stay with us for a while when he first came to this country and he could not understand our way of playing practivcal jokes on each other. He couldn't see why we would want to laugh at our friends. And here I thought Fidel was laughing at Bush every day.
So there is a little more from Al.

This procedure sounds a bit like a bone marrow transplant. Very cutting edge, are their similar trials being done in the USA?

So is this procedure done only once and then you are monitored?

I have to admit the responses to the question have been fabulous, easy to comprehend. It makes the picture a lot clearer.

Lordy, I'll have to chop myself into little pieces for the 44 lbs weight requirement. Not into scuba diving, but some rum would be nice, although their 'proof' level is a bit over the wall for me.

Tbear, loved your story about the language barriors, excellent. So did you really fly too low into Brampton, or is that an excuse not to visit the newly formed Brampton line of this? MMM? I love sitting up there and watching the planes navigate in. Great place for lunch also.

Carol our problem is solved, Al invited everyone. Man, in our dreams.

Sorry, forgot this part, Al, get a translation dictionary before you get arrested and Castro holds you hostage. You may up asking the waiter for a drink, then sex, and a pony ride. Lee, I'll say a prayer for you!

Hi Guys,
mmmmmm ...cigars ! in Cuba ...... can't wait! Yep, get that translation book Al, you never know, just like Theresa said, you might be doing something illegal.! (but fun) Have a good day all.

Carol

Carol: What would you do with a Cuban Cigar?
T.

Where is Monica when you need her?

Cold out there eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back