Adult Stem Cells Help Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i know treatment with adult stem cells is working for a guy with ALS. He is from Kentucky and has seen great improvement. Although this is not a cure for ALS, I do believe it works.
-R

Neuralstem

t34gib,

I am as frustrated with the Bush Administration as anyone, but there is a company called Neuralstem that has spent this past decade working on adult stem cells as treatment for ALS (nothing to do with embyronic stem cells, which Bush banned the federal funding of until Obama recently removed it) and is hoping to start clinical trials here in the U.S. later this year.

Although it's true it would take several years for the FDA to approve this new type of stem cell technology (cells are differentiated into motor neurons and glial cells), the company has formed a partnership with a Chinese hospital in Taiwan. The trials there will follow the initial trial here in America by 6-9 months but will go much faster. Assuming the treatments are proven safe and effective, they could be made available in Taiwan in three years or so from NOW. Yes, that's still a long time, but it is much better than waiting 5 years or more here in the states.

There is lots of information regarding Neuralstem on the forums here.

Don't Give up Hope

As Joel has said, please don't give up hope, folks. Some type of treatment or treatments is bound to break through in the next few years, even if it first becomes available overseas (think fundraising!). And, remember, ALS is not necessarily fatal if it is fully treated!

Thanks to everyone for reminding us all not to give up hope! I was feeling a bit down today; must be the cold, rainy weather we're having in MI today. One of my nurse friends told me that if they figure out one of the neuro diseases the rest will quickly follow. We all check out what's happening with ALS, but like someone said (can't remember who, sorry!), the cure might come from an unexpected source!

I am constantly amazed by advances in science and technology. It really is a wonderful world we live in. I think the coming years will bring tremendous advancements in various types treatments derived from stem cell research. Although we know more everyday, everything I've read seems to indicate that readily available proven treatments are still a ways out.

Rest assured, though. I am pretty confident that once someone figures out a way to effectively treat or even cure motor neuron disease, even if it involved significant side effects, it would be shouted on every housetop. It would be hard to miss the announcement. Especially on this forum ;)

Robert

Yes I definitely agree with you. Stem cell research and development will surely be a great option and tool to improve more methods to cure neuron ailments and much more. Let's just hope that there are no long-term side effects and that the procedure will be stable as soon as possible. But as of this moment, stem cell transplant for neuron oriented diseases is not yet pushed through.

There was an interesting article on TV last night here about Stem Cells.

In it they followed a young girl with a sight issue as she went and had treatment. Afterwoods her parents said she had improved her eyesight, however testing before and afterwoods didnt reflect an improvement.

They also focused on a doctor in the states, forget his name, who practiced out of the country a couple of times a month with stem cell treatment. (for a fee)

The short story with him was that he put a lot of pressure on a patient ( a plant with a hidden camera) to have the treatment, there and then, discounted some reports of side effects etc with other patents.
When confronted by the reporter later, and shown the film, became very defensive etc.

My summery of it is.

No mention of MND as a condition that they treat.
Still many claims of success in several clinics (the usual ones we hear about) but didnt see any actual people who had improved.
Lots of good research going on in the world as we speak (they got some comments from a couple of labs etc) but they are still a bit away from resolving some issues.

So as many have said on this forum, it is comming, but not quiet here yet. hopefully the trials that are happening currently, shed some light on a treatment/ cure in the future using Stem Cells.

Please note again these are my views of the programm and i am not a doctor, only a PALS hoping for a cure/ treatment for us all.

Cheers
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back