Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - the latest. He went to see his regular neurologist who said that she doesn't know what's going on so they'll continue testing. Then, our regular doctor ordered an MRI on his neck and called Al in. They also did an EMG that showed slightly abnormal (carpal tunnel?). The MRI shows that Al has mild to moderate stenosis in all of the vertebrae in his neck. He has bone spurs that are also pushing directly on his spinal chord. We already have an appointment with another neurosurgeon (our neuro referred us to an other neurosurgeon who referred us to this guy). So, we should be able to lay it all out on the table on Friday.

I'll keep you posted. - Brenda

Thanks for the update Brenda. I was hoping you would remember to check in. Good luck on Friday and once again let us know the outcome.
Laurel

Thanks for the update Brenda. I was hoping you would remember to check in. Good luck on Friday and once again let us know the outcome.
Laurel

Update - so the neuro referred Al to a neurosurgeon. Our family doctor ordered MRI's that showed that Al has some cervical spine stenosis and a couple of bulging discs (he broke his neck playing on a trampoline 7 years ago - thinking he was 12 or something). I also didn't mention in my previous post that he now has cramping, twitching and pain on the left side. We were hoping that the neck problem was the cause of this, so it would be an "easy" fix. The neuro said no - that the spine wasn't compromised. If anything, it would cause a little shoulder pain. The neurosurgeon said that he does not know why Al is having problems on the left as well.
For the first time in 2 years, Al almost fell over when they were doing the Romberg's test. He also lost his balance when doing the gait test - walking heal to toe. The neurosurgeon now wants to get him a shot of morphine in his spine to see if that will help with the right leg, hip, and foot pain. If that works, the neuro wants to give him a morphine pump.
They also addressed the "camera shutters" that Al experiences. The doctor thought they might be TIA's or a clot in the retinal artery. We called the vascular surgeon and Al will go in on Monday for a carotid ultrasound.

And that was that. I've been so worried that I haven't slept in over 24 hours, so I'm crashing for the night. Thanks for listening! - Brenda

Hi Brenda,
Gosh you two are being put through so much--no wonder you are exhausted. Good luck with the carotid ultrasound on Monday. Take care and I hope you get a good sound sleep.
Laurel

raystown. It is almost eerie of the similarities my mother has to what you are describing. My mother is also 76 and started with arthritis in her right hand. A few years ago after my father died, she had a few episodes with bell's palsy but nothing since then. Last year she had a CPAP as a result of her sleep study. She began having slurred speech late last year. She was only diagnosed with ALS a few weeks ago. What we were given the news, I asked her neurologist if it could be a stroke or if there were any other conditions that share similar characterics that it could be. He said "no" and that is was with 99% certainty. After reading many posts and receiving information from ALS society, we scheduled an appointment with another neurologist that specializes in ALS. Our appointment is the 20th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back