Looking to your special PALS for Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bujy

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
Family
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
I wonder how much you can look to your loved one for support? I'm having a super rough day today. Very upset. I spoke with the ALS chapter and have the ball rolling. It feels good. I just want to call my MIL and cry to her. I want her to help me through this. She's the parent! It's their job to comfort the kids. I'm going through a bitter phase right now.

I want to talk to her. But she's so emotionally fragile right now. Not sure if it'd be good for her to help. Or if it'd be bad for her to see me an emotional wreck.

Oh my goodness

You need to be strong for your MIL, after all she is the one with ALS. Sorry for wording like this but you are not the one with ALS and she needs you to be strong and supportive right now!

If you need someone to talk to I have already made the offer to call you and am available anytime you want.

Hang in there - it does get better.

I tried for a long time to hold in my feelings about my husband's ALS. It did no good for either one of us. I was a wreck from holding in my feelings, and he felt like I didn't care because I showed no emotion. I think everyone needs to know how much you care about them, even if it means letting them know that you are sad or worried. Your PALS certainly can not be the only one you talk to about it, but my husband told me early on that he wants to know how I'm doing, too.

Thanks Joel for the offer. I may just take you up on it. I'm a bit shy..lol.. but when you need support, you need support.

Sounds like this is a great community here. Reading everybody's stories can be super emotional. The strength that some of you have is extraordinary. I just hope that I can channel some of that positive energy and make it my own.

Please don't be shy, I don't bite LoL.

It will be a local call from where you are so when you are ready here is my phone number

God Bless!

Better to PM personal information Joel. You never know who might be reading here. Everyone isn't as well adjusted as you and I. lol.

AL.

While it upsets me when my husband vents about the stress of dealing with my ALS, as his wife I still want to know how he is feeling and support him. And of course, I'll field anything and everything my kids throw at me.
Beyond that, I really have not appreciated people unloading on me because they are upset about my situation. I have enough to contend with.
My mother shares her feelings with her sister so that when we're together it's still about enjoying each others' company. I know how difficult it must be for her to see me going through this and I am grateful that she has not burdened me with her distess.

Al, I agree with what you are saying but I thought she (assuming a woman) was not able to receive PM's yet as she is new. Not true?

Hey Joel.. I did copy your number down in case I need to take you up on yuor offer. Not sure if you can delete it out of your post, but feel free. I copied it down.

You're a sweetheart. And yep, I am a woman. Can't ya hear me roar?

Bujy

bujy
Please contact joelc. They are perfect to talk to and I am sure they can help. They spent years in position to give counseling and are very approachable. No need to be shy or afraid to share things with them. I agree with AL, that you should send them private messages back and forth (or call.) Our best to you with your MIL. Marjorie and Rick

She can get PM's now. I can take your number out if you'd like. The majic number is 10 for now but we don't advertise it.

AL.

Hi Jen. This is a pretty good place to find people like you. Have you contacted ALSA or MDA yet? They have support groups and can help with equipment down the road as well.

AL.

Hi Jen.... You are truly gifted with a love and compassion that all CALS (caregivers of patients with ALS) have to have to survive. Welcome to our group. Your journey will be bittersweet, but I can tell you you are blessed and will continue to be. You are doing the right things and thinking the right thoughts..... even crying in the produce department is part of all this. I look forward to hearing how you both are doing... and am ready to help if in any way I can. Marjorie.............. and Rick too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back