View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 03:52 PM #2 (permalink)

PALS Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
PALS Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stephen Hawking

There's a good book written by Vancouver doctor Gabor Maté called...
"When the Body Says No- The Cost of Hidden Stress"

Provocative and beautifully written, When the Body Says No provides the answers to these and other important questions about the effects of stress on health. In clear, easy-to-follow language, Dr. Gabor Maté lucidly summarizes the latest scientific findings about the role that stress and individual emotional makeup play in an array of diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, cancer, and ALS, among others.

Chapter 4 (If I remember correctly) is about ALS and the type of personality it affects. He says that the typical ALS patient is usually a very "Outgoing" person who is almost "too nice"...to lose one's ability to speak (communicate) tends to lead to depression and so on and so forth...
Maté talks about Dr. Hawking being a genius and how that type of personality has difficult time communicating in a social atmosphere. For Stephen Hawking (Maté feels) losing his ability to speak is of no great consequence and has had an easier time/greater will to live...

I can't give the book the justice it desrves...Chapter 4 is WORTH reading and will explain why Stephen Hawking has been "living" with ALS for over 35 years better than I can in this forum.

Last edited by David : 04-25-2006 at 04:52 AM