View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 PM #22 (permalink)

sisterofl is an unknown quantity at this point
sisterofl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew,

I was exactly where you are a year and half ago with my brother. I went through all the stages, anger, denial, bargaining, and finally acceptance...I think that we never really stay in one stage and fluctuate depending on the moment. I try to stay away from anger. It does not accomplish anything.

I look at the positive side (if there is one...) My brother is only 47 but has touched so many lives as a high school teacher. I admire his courage and I'm there for him. It's not easy, because he can be really stubborn. In his case the hardest part is the loss of "speech". You are trapped in your body. He can barely work the mouse to activate the keyboard by which he communicates, yet he continues to work on a website for the school he used to teach at.

He's had a chance to travel all over the world and meet some really neat people.

Reading everything I could about ALS has helped me. I have also read the following books in the past month:

"Tuesday with Morrie" by Mitch Albom (made me angry because Morrie could still speak)
"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom
"Learning to Fall" by Philip Simmons
"Final Gifts" by Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley
"How to Say it When You Don't Know What to Say." by Robbie Miller Kaplan is next on my list. I'm piciking it up at Chapter tomorrow.

I think this forum is really helpful. I'm sorry you and your family have to go through this.

My prayers are with you.

Gisele