PALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Owatonna
Good morning all!

Kathy (my sister) said that her upper lip was numb. I'm not sure how numb it was. Have any of the rest of you guys experienced this? Or should she expect to just be getting a major cold sore?

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

ALS is a motor neuron disease - not a sensory neuron disease - so direct pain, loss of feeling, numbness are not usual symptoms of ALS.

Having said this, since my diagnosed, I have experience prolonged numbness in parts of my face especially my chin. Was this due to ALS? I don't know. A couple of other PALS advised me that they have experienced similar numbness.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks! I will let Kathy know all of this. The look on her face told me that she was concerned that the numbness meant she was starting to lose her speech. It seems to me like that is one of her biggest fears...immediate ones, at least.

Marcia

Marcia,

Anxiety can certainly be a big culprit of numbness and tingling. I know when I get anxious, my face get tingling and numb as well as legs.

Spud (Terri)

Terri (Spud),

Well, this last weekend there were certainly times when anxiety could have played a role. We were visiting our aging parents who aren't taking care of their health like they should.

Does your whole face get tingling and numb or just parts of it? Also, if you don't mind me asking, did this come on after the onset of ALS or is this something that you've always experienced?

Marcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back