Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
West Seneca
My brother's ability to speak is nearly gone. He already has a Dynavox and uses it by twitching his eye or nodding his head to turn lights on/off etc... the problem is that this system hasnt been all that great with frequent malfunctions or adjustments required. I'm a bit apprehensive to pursue the Voice functionality if it really isnt a good communication device and am hoping to gain some perspective on this system or other options that provide Voice and scripting. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thank you!

a reply

Hi i have bulbar onset,my speech is pretty well toast and i use a dynawrite works pretty well,not super happy with the voice but it is better than nothing.I have the use of my hands which allows me to type and then i press talk and it speaks what i have typed.Or if i do not feel like using that I use a pad and paper.What is your situation,anyways hang in there..Kevin from Calgary

Which DynaVox does he have? A V or Vmax? What access method is he using? A SCATIR switch?

My DynaVox Experience

My voice is pretty well shot after 5 years of this crap, but the DynaVox VMax has been a godsend for me. I really don't know what I would do without it. I use a Headmouse to control my cursor, which my sons think is awesome. I paid the extra 45 bucks for the software to make it an open device, which gave me access to Windows, and unlimited possibilities as to what I can do with it. I set up a wireless network and now I can be on the Internet from anywhere around my house or yard. The few minor problems that I have had were all resolved quickly. I am even starting to search for work online that I can do from home, I am SICK of watching TV all the time, so working would be very refreshing. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to IM me.

Hi Everyone, My mother has a DynaVox Dynawrite from the MDA loan closet to try out after our last clinic visit. We now cannot get it to power up after recharging the battery. Is there a reset button or something?

see THIS THREAD
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8213

eyemax-front-lg.jpg

I had a lot of trouble with my DynaVox Max at first, and it would lock up and I couldn't turn it off. Because the battery charges all the time it's on, I had to wait several days for it to run down so I could turn it off. The sales rep had to come out numerous times. Usually rebooting would fix it, but once it was the setting "phone type" that was impeding it. Now I just leave it on the phone screen, and it allows me to communicate over the phone pretty well. I can also communicate in person with it, but prefer the LightWriter for that, as it's portable.

The big problem for me is that the DynaVox speech is too fast and sometimes overwrites itself. I can adjust the speech speed, of course, but then the canned responses come out at a glacial pace. If I set the speed so that pre-programmed phrases sound normal, it is too fast for conversational speech that I type in. I have to spell a lot of things phonetically, and the voice is fairly limited. With pre-programmed phrases, I can reword them until they are understandable, but in conversation, having to go phonetic really REALLY slows things down.

My best bet in conversation is using two systems ... dynavox for longer thoughts, LightWriter for quick comments to keep the conversation moving. I also have a TTY phone (for the deaf, sending text messages) for emergencies, but haven't had to use it yet.

BUT ... compared to not being able to communicate at all? Being able to answer a phone call or place one? Priceless. And I can convert to eyegaze use when/if needed. Also have it unlocked, so can use as a PC.

Eyemax

I have had mine for 2 mo. No complaints. I love it. There ARE ADJUSTMENTS for speech RATE .

Thanks, Boblandstar1 ... I have adjusted the speech speed several times, but unfortunately, it is not consistent between conversational typing and pre-programmed phrases.

I will say that the service is great. My first unit (a reconditioned one, which many of them are) was so screwed up, the sales rep loaned me her own DynaVox while the factory tried to fix it. They finally gave me a new unit, and that has been much better except for the inconsistent speech speeds.

Glad you have had no problems!

Dxox

There was a rate issue with "HIGHLIGHT TEXT" enabled. THERE was also a software update in May.

We are just about to have a dynavox v max shipped and set up in the next week or so. We Will comment on it for those who are interested. We will have a complete tutorial from the dynavox rep. I guess you can create standard messages, and recorded you own voice for them. I guess I will be able to let those who are interested, how easy/ hard it is.
I am looking forward to the technology. ( I hate this disease, but am glad there is something to help with one of the worst symptoms) although, I had better put on my 'computer techi' hat....And hope I don't delete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back