What causes nerve surge spontaneous fecal urinary incontinence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taratune

Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
san diego
My brother has a weird bulge feeling in between his shoulders. He has recently been feeling a surge of pain down his spine that shoots into his legs. He has progressive muscular atrophy and can no longer walk or stand. His shoulder muscles are weak but he still has good use of his hands. He can also eat and speak well. Today he felt the nerve surge down into his groin area and spontaneously became incontinent of bowel and bladder.

I have not read anything that tells me this is typical of ALS. My brother insists that he has a pinched nerve in his back. It is worse when he sits or lays on his back so he lays on his stomach or until recently stood (leaning up against something) only. I am thinking that he may have more than one neurological problem.

Has anyone else experienced this nerve surge spontaneous incontinence thing?
Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help,

Tara

Hi Tara. Your brothers problem doesn't sound ALS related to me. While some patients do have incontinence problems they are not usually associated with a nerve surge as you describe it. I think he could be right about the pinched nerve. Might be a good idea to get it looked at.

AL.

nerve surge incontinence, mitochondrial disorder

Thank you for giving me your feedback. My brother has been complaining about his pinched nerve and he has had several MRI's with and without contrast and several doctors have told him that nothing shows up but a slight bulge in the disc that is not enough to cause his symptoms. None of the doctors will do exploratory surgery to see what it is. The just say he has PMA. One doctor did take an extra look at his muscle biopsy and is working him up for a possible Mitochondrial disorder but that doesn't explain the surge incontinence either. Is there anything else that can cause this? My brother does have very noticeable fasiculations. His EMG was very abnormal. I guess it could be some kind of motor neuron disease and something else....but what? Are any of you familiar with Mitochondrial myopathy?

Hello...Go look up 'Cauda Equina Syndrome'. Best of luck to your brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back