View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 05:37 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

buddylou is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member (Say Hi)
buddylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:

Hi again: Wow, that is sad! Just got home from the physiothereapist this afternoon and she is now advising nan to starat using a cane. Nan started from the throat, not being able to speak or swallow very well and now it is starting to progress more into her limbs. I can see how much it is progressing each day now, they had spoken to us about her geting the feeding tube. They say that it is better to get this before she gets too bad and can't swallow anything at all. The real hard thing is that I am the one taking her back and forth to the appointments and she is very secretive about the whole disease and she would rather not tell anyone else in the family about the things the doctors are speaking about nor does she let anyone tell other people in the community about what is wrong with her. Oh well, I guess that is the least of the problem here, how progressed is your dad? Nan has gone in 1 year from 164 lbs. to 119 lbs. She is now trying to plumpen herself up with skim milk powder, whole milk, and other fattening dairy products.
Take Care Paula( Buddylou) [quote:f67f4977fb="Anonymous"]Its true all that you said about your grandmother's husband. One of the worst things about this disease is when it is diagnosed in someone that loves life.

My parents have bought a new house just 6 months before my father was diagnosed with ALS. At the age of 62 they were planning a new life in a new city near the sea. They have made so many plans, and that hurts a lot. They have now moved to their new house, but they are suffering because their dreams have turned into nightmares.

All our lives have changed because of this terrible disease. One of my fathers desire was to be a grandfather. As my husband and I were planning to have a child by the beggining of 2004, I am now 2 months pregnant. I know that at this advanced stage of the disease, my father won't live enought to met the child, but he his so happy about it, that this is just the reward I need to balance all the suffering I am dealing with.

When we deal with a devastating disease we have to be strong, and believe we can be stronger than we imagine and we can endure suffering in a way we can't even imagine before. Just because we love our family and those who are in pain.

All the best for your family.[/quote:f67f4977fb]