sdsyd

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
sd
City
piedmont
Hey guys. Though I am dealing with things pretty well, today I got my first real fasic in my face. MY Dx is suspect MND- and have been having fasics for 1 year. I have had small twitches in my face before, but this was a nasty one. It seems like when fasics start in a new area they are pretty intense. Oh please tell me this is just a random one! All of the others are mostly in places easily covered so people don't see.

I know I sound wimpy in saying I can deal with all the things I can hide, but this is really bugging me.

Please, anyone with face fasics please tell me how you deal with it?

P.S. On a POSITIVE note... I started the Provigil today and liked it. Aside from the mild headache (like Robert mentioned) it really gave my energy a boost. Didn't help the walking or strength though- LOL.

Thanks!

Cindy

Greetings sdsyd,

I'm going to send you a private message.

Cindy,

When I was in graduate school we all developed facial "tics" and joked about it..."you are not really a grad student unless you have facial tics...hahaha" It was a badge of honor: look how stressed I am..I work harder than you...my advisor is more of a bear than yours....etc.. We were proud.

FAST FORWARD to the present: only recently have my fasics gone to my face, and believe me, they are different than those things I called facial tics. Seem more violent, larger, last longer. They are pretty darn noticeable...mine are around my lips and chin.

Well, today a student shared with me that her group mates are stressing her out so much that she has developed an eyelid tic. I told her my grad school facial tic memory and she and the other students laughed and laughed (it wasn't that funny, but you know-they have to brown nose:-D). So I thought, why not just go for it, I already spit all over my students because of my drool/salivia issue...why not share this as well...and I shared with them that this semester is already so crazy for me that I too have developed a facial tic...we promised to look for each other's tics. To compare and contrast (reference to recent assignment). That I could gauge reactions to course assignments by looking at their faces. If they were twitching like crazy maybe I could tone my expectations down a little, etc....We had such a good laugh, it felt great. I feel better, not so embarrassed by it, and my students can connect with me on a different level. So all is good. Probably doesn't help you, but the timing of your post was amazing. I can only say-you just have to try and laugh. Personally, I find the fasics in my ass alot more embarrassing.

ha ha ha Lydia. My ass jiggles violently as well. But lately I've been sitting on it alot and the only one who sees it bare is poor Dan. The only other violent ones are in my quads. A dose of humor is always welcome.

Jaw Muscles

My jaw muscles are almost constantly fatigued. The fascics are very small but constant, as they are in my calves but at this point, I've not been diagnosed with anything. The first neuro passed "suspected NMD" to the next guy but he disagrees. Good for me!

Zaphoon

Lydia, the grad school facial twitching. Your comment brought back memories. My face's favorite spot used to be my left eyebrow :)

Cynthia, I'm glad the Provigil is helping. I wish I had some advice on the facial fasiculation :(

Robert

hi cindy and all.

i have bulbar symptoms and believe me you can tell the difference between harmless tic,s and real spasms.
i have had facial spasms since the start of the year,in my lower face/jaw line only.
harmless tic,s or spasms tend to effect round the eyes/upper face.
the spasms on the right side have been bad,to the point were my mouth is distorted and pulled inwards to the left.
these are painfull and very distressing not like tic,s.
i did get fassic,s in my right jaw line a while back.
also i get sudden jaw spasms/clonus were the jaw goes stiff and slams shut suddenly,this is not good for the tongue and teeth
eating is a chore,i have to keep stopping during eating to rest as my jaw/lower face is so tired.
i though the body symptoms were bad enough till i started with bulbar symptoms.
i hope this helps a bit.

Hi guys. You know nothing uusally upsets me for too long. I am here drinking my 1 cup of coffee. I'm ok now. I think Olly may have been right. It wasn't painful but forceful. And it definately wasnt a lil tic. It did literally change the shape of my face.I was driving and felt it and had a looksie in the rearview mirror.( I know, the mirror is for driving purposes)

Of course I came up with somethng twisted. If it becomes continous I will pretend to be of a different religion and where a scarf. Dan says he'll join me in the mascarade.

Have a great day all.
Today is day 3 in a row for work for me- for those of you who follow this is a big deal. LOL If I make it through today it will be 12 hours this week that I worked.

Cindy

Hi guys. You know nothing uusally upsets me for too long. I am here drinking my 1 cup of coffee. I'm ok now. I think Olly may have been right. It wasn't painful but forceful. And it definately wasnt a lil tic. It did literally change the shape of my face.I was driving and felt it and had a looksie in the rearview mirror.( I know, the mirror is for driving purposes)

Of course I came up with somethng twisted. If it becomes continous I will pretend to be of a different religion and where a scarf. Dan says he'll join me in the mascarade.

Have a great day all.
Today is day 3 in a row for work for me- for those of you who follow this is a big deal. LOL If I make it through today it will be 12 hours this week that I worked.

Cindy

Cindy, it sounds like spasm rather than twitch (Like Caroline said)

Re: about your work. Be careful (i.e. don't do what I did) if you have a long term disability policy and it pays out based on a previous amount of work/income.... In my situation, I kept working less and less, trying to stay on the active employee status to maintain the cheaper rates for health insurance, etc. and I pretty much screwed myself for LTD as its is based on previous 12 month period of earning. I guess I kept thinking I was going to get better, and it took a while to sink in. So instead of it paying me what would have been 60% of my regular earnings, it will be more like 10 or 15%.

Hope you do good today, :smile:

hi cindy

dont worry about the scarf,these spasms are not constant.
i can have a day when i get a few and others none at all.
sometimes i can feel the right jaw muscles stiffen and think "oh no,here goes"but then it just eases off.
yours do sound like the spasms i get,you can clearly see the lower face being pulled and distorted.
when the speech therapist came to see me she said there was nothing they could give in meds for this,i did try taking extra baclofen but could not really tell if that works.
but i did look it up,botox injections was a option,not sure about that though:roll:
hope you had a good day at work.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back