Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Perth
City
Dunblane
Hi folks,

Im bran spanking new here and thought you guys might be able to help me. Here goes:

I am 24 and have been an athlete since my youth. Over the past year I have had to cut out my training due to injuries and "niggles" which I put down to the tiredness of working and training together. I still attended gym and was physically fit. That was until three weeks ago.

I was on holiday in France and rolled over at night and noticed a sharp pain in my side over my illiac crest. I thought little of it and went back to sleep. The issue didnt go away and over the next week the pain became more noticable. So the follwoing thursday I went to my doc back home.

She said - see a physio its muscular. I went home, woke up at 2 am with tingling along my spine on the left side, and in my fingers along with a numb face. I called out of hours doc and went to see them at the hospital. He said - see a neurologist. To get that referral I had to go back to my origianl GP and say I wanted to see a neurologist - she doubted me but reluctantly wrote a referral.

Over the next two weeks I slept like Ive never slept before and to be honest my initial feeling of illness and tingling largely left me though I still felt a bit weak and the pain in my hip remained.

I saw my neuro on Friday and he did some strength tests and the old touch finger to nose stuff. He seemed to suggest nothing was wrong but said he was would do an MRI to dot the i's and cross the t's...

I then travelled to a funeral this weekend and my GOD I fell rough now. I got back yesterday and I have a burning pain in my left hip around to my lower spine and it has spread to my right side as well. I now have a pain in my arms like something pressing on my funny bone. Tingling pain in my wrists and a definate pain in my tendons of my left leg and in my right knee.

My grip is strong and generally I can push against the neurologist with my legs but I am starting to feel weakness when climbing or descending stairs. My leg shakes when I extend it (like to push something with your toe) and I am also getting intermittent twitching - not severe but more than I would ever normally have. Symptoms are worse at night though twitching is worse in the mornings.

My MRI is in 2 days and if its blank Im going to get dropped by this neurologist. Im sure of that. Any ideas on whether this is ALS or what tests I should be asking for to rule it out or confirm it?

Does tingling/numbness sound familiar and what about a severe pain that gets worse following activity. At the moment I would say Im not paralysed in any part of my body though my legs are getting weaker around the hips and knees.

Any help really appreciated.

Big Love
T

Hi, T ...this doesn't sound like ALS to me. Tingling and numbness are not characteristic of ALS, nor is that kind of pain following activity.

Usually, if a doctor suspects ALS, he/she will perform an EMG, but what's happening with you really doesn't sound like ALS. Hopefully your MRI will be normal ... that will rule out a lot of serious conditions ... and you will find the answer elsewhere.

BethU

We're not doctors here but I'd bet on a pinched nerve or ruptured disc. Sounds more like what my wife felt when she hurt her back. She didn't know how but the doc said she could have bent over to tie her shoes and the disc popped and it could have been up to 2 weeks before. Doesn't sound like ALS to me. Get the MRI.

AL.

Thanks guys you make me feel better - I think the EMG would help me alot. At the moment Im almost hoping for a result from the MRI as I think I could come to terms with MS whereas I think it takes a will and a stronger personality than mine to take an ALS diagnosis. My throat feels really tight sometimes though which is a bit scarey and the twitching just adds to all the nerves and leads to... well more twitching I guess. You guys are great and what you are doing here is amazing. Ive just got to get my head around the next few days... (feeling scared)

Let's hope no MS either! Al is usually right about these things.

Good luck!
BethU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back