11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
hello everyone.
does anyone have the reciepe for milkshakes using protien powder and esure/boost and icecream.
i have gone through "search" and looking at backdated posts but can not find it.
any help is most welcome.
take good care.
caroline:-D

Hi, Caroline ... I make my own milkshakes with those ingredients. I use vanilla Ensure (or some other brand -- I usually use something cheaper), two scoops of vanilla Soy Protein Powder (the container recommends 3 scoops, which gives you 25 grams of protein and an additional 110 calories, but that makes it too thick for me), and about 1/3 gallon of vanilla ice cream and some chocolate syrup.

The Ensure has 9 grams of protein, and I figure I'm getting 16 grams from the powder, so that's 25 grams of protein.

This makes a very thick shake, and fills two 8-ounce glasses. It's very filling and nutritious.

I use vanilla everything because I don't like the chocolate ensure or chocolate powder, which taste stale to me. The chocolate syrup gives it just enough flavor.

This is loaded with calories ... I estimate about 1,000 calories ... and I've gained 10 pounds since June (groan ... I didn't want to gain that much, but I love these darn shakes!).

There are all kinds of variations. I use Ensure, the protein powder, orange juice, and fresh fruit (blueberries, etc.) for a shake with fewer calories and a way to get my daily ration of fruit.

Hope it helps,
BethU

hi beth

thankyou so much,i had a feeling you would know.
its for delb,he copied it off the forum a while back.
his aide took it on thursday then did not return on the friday or saturday as she should have.
so we both were searching for it over the weekend and he had to do without his shake.
his aide is so unreliable,he really needs a new one.
i will save this in my favourites so i dont loose it.
thanks again beth,your a star.
take good care.
caroline:-D

Beth do you truly put in a third of a gallon of ice cream? If so, I guess that explains the 10 lbs. since June <g>.
Laurel

Actually, it's probably more like a quarter gallon, but yes ... I fill the blender almost to the top with ice cream. I like it really thick. I've been trying to cut down, as I only wanted to gain back 5 pounds, but it's sooooooo good.

So I'm only drinking one of those a day now. For a while it was twice a day.

If you want to gain weight, this will do it! (If you REALLY want to gain weight, use Haagen Dass (sp?) ... about 300 calories per 1/2 cup! I use regular ice cream, about 120 cal. per 1/2 cup)

I had lost 24 pounds, and the neuro said to gain! So I did! :)

I use just a scoop of ice cream and frozen bananas or other fruit to make it cold without so much ice cream.

Thanks for the information. My aide is making these for me now. And I will too when she does not come. She is so undependable. I have been told by my RN that I look like every one wants to look, but that I am starving to death. So they are trying to put weight back on me. And they taste so good too.

Del

Del! Hi! Good to see you posting. How are you doing? Hope all is going ok for you.

You can get very creative with the shakes and smoothies, make a batch and keep in the fridge. We bought a bar fridge within reach for my husband and had on hand shakes or smoothies in mugs that were easy to hold so his fingers wouldn't cramp. His favorite was a Tim Hortins coffee mug that was wide. When his swallowling got worse he found the choclate surup was difficult to swallow in the shakes and with the smoothies I had to cut out fruit with seeds.
I used to say the same thing to my husband that your RN said to you.

Take care
Cheryl

Hi Linda (trying to stay positive)
I am doing OK. Still able to walk with walker. But losing strength in my left arm and fingers. But adapting still. and still fighting ALS 24/7. Taking it a day at a time.

i FOUND A REAL USEFUL STRAW FOR PEOPLE WHO CANT PICK UP CUPS
iTS A PYREX STRAW THAT CAN BE USED FOR HOT STUFF AND CREAMED
STUFF

gO TO PYREX STRAWS ON THE INTERNET

PAT

CORRECTION!

I just made my lunch shake and realized that the quantity of ice cream I'm buying is a half-gallon container, not a full gallon. So I'm not sure what the quantity of ice cream is ... I'm math impaired ... but I fill the blender almost up to the top with ice cream.

For me, the perfect milkshake is Burger King's. They only use soft ice cream with a little chocolate syrup, and you have to eat it with a spoon. Looked it up online, and the small size has 800 calories and 10 grams of protein.

There are all kinds of variations you can do ...

BethU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back