Thread: Vitamin E
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 07:57 AM #3 (permalink)

me is an unknown quantity at this point
me is an unknown quantity at this point

Al - Here is the information I have read. I will see if I can find places to get it. It does talk about the "Gamma"

----------------------------------------------------------

This information is taken from Gary Null’s “Power Aging” book. I thought it had a lot of good health tips. I looked him up on the internet and of course there are people out there who think he is a quack. I don’t know, maybe he takes things too far with the natural and healthy living, but it can’t all be wrong. So, take the following as you want:

Page 107 “Also very important for heart disease is natural (not synthetic) vitamin E (with tocotrienols and the gamma fraction) generally with 400 IU with tocotrienols at 100 mg.

Page 163-164 “The researchers concluded that there was a superiority of a combined vitamin E plus C supplementation over a vitamin E supplementation alone in Alzheimer’s disease.”

Page 164 “Desnuelle and a group of researchers from the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service in Nice, France, say that there is evidence that oxidative stress may be involved in the pathogenesis of ALS. They say that past research shows that the antioxidant vitamin E slows the onset and progression of paralysis in mice. Their study using 500 mg twice daily of alpha tocopherol (vitamin E) was designed to determine its effects on ALS.

The study recruited 289 patients with ALS for less than 5 years. They were on riluzole. They received either vitamin E or placebo for one year. The results were that patients receiving riluzole vitamin E remained longer in the milder states of ALS, and at 3 months there were changes in biochemical markers of oxidative stress. The researchers urge further studies.”

Reference info: Desnuelle, C; Dib, M; Garrel, C; Favier, A. A double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) in the treatment of ALS. ALS riluzole-tocopherol Study Group. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Othe rMotor Neuron Disord. 2001 Mar; 2(1): 9-18