Stem Cell Research Progress (breakthrough?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethU

Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
A front page article in todays LA Times headlined "Scientists transform cells, open possible path against diseases," says that by injecting a "cocktail" of proteins into the bodies of diabetic mice, researchers have created . . . "a genetic transformation that could pave the way for treating intractable diseases . . ." The article says that they transformed pancreas cells into insulin-producing ones.

From the article:
"Doug Melton, co-director of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute and the study's senior author . . . said the same approach could be used to generate motor neuroms for patients with amyotrophic lateral scleroasis ..."

Basically, the cocktail "commands" the cells to transform themselves into healthy versions of diseased cells. It takes about 10 days for the transformation to take effect.

There is also is a possibility that they can "flip" heart cells to replace cells damaged during heart attacks.

I'm sure many papers will be covering this story, but was glad to see this on the front page.

BethU

Last edited:
Encouraging news. It's only a matter of time until there is a significantly better treatment and a cure.

I missed that headline, Beth. Glad you saw it! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks...

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this with us. There was a similar article in the Seattle times from August 1st I believe. I will look to see if I can find it and post the link here so folks can check it out if they want to.

Again thank you for sharing this information with us.

Take care and be well.

:mrgreen:

more stem cell research in England

It is amazing that on the London news, hardly a week goes by when they dont say about some new treatment for a terrible disease. Today they were talking about a new blood bank which officially opens this week, which is taking donations of UMBILICAL blood, after the birth of babys...stuff which is normally just thrown away... They now have supplies and hope to build it up greatly...they are using the blood to extract stem cells both for treatment of some diseases...mostly cancers...and also for further research into many other diseases. Our time WILL come...lets all pray for the best news SOON

Beth,

Thanks for the article....lets keep our fingers and toes crossed.

embilical cord blood bank for stem cell treatment

Here is the link to the uk page about the official opening of the umbilical cord bllod bank to be used for stem cell treatment and research...hopefully just one more piece of the puzzle, lets pray the picture WILL be complete SOOON!
http://www.anthonynolan.org.uk/media/pressreleases/cordblood.htm

Jennifer ... what a brilliant idea ! It does sound like researchers are getting serious about all this, doesn't it?!? Could be a big step closer...

Thx for the link!
BethU

more research

I have sent this link before but maybe they all need to be listed in one place..so I am sending it again under this thread
www.dendron.org.uk
I have been told that this organisation are close to running a trial as well.
Also, I have a fundraising site for the motor neurone disease association in the UK who are looking to raise £500,000 for 2 more trials. I have had several people contact the mnd association with regard to fundraising for me, and the association have told people that they have some extremely good people involved in the proposed new trials and there thoughts on a cure is....not IF but WHEN...they find it... They are EXTREMELY hopefull of finding something....but then I guess that all trials think that...but at least it is HOPE and one day it WILL happen.....just make it quick please.
On a note about the unbilical cord blood bank...my daughter in law is expecting another baby and she is going to ask to have the blood collected...maybe...just maybe I might be able to have the stem cell from that....we think it is certainly worth looking into

cord blood

We banked my sons cord blood when he was born. Was wondering if anyone with ALS has actually been injected with the cord blood. We faithfully pay for our storage fee..would sure be a miracle if this could help my husband KR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back