View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 07:33 PM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

buddylou is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member (Say Hi)
buddylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ALS

I am so sorry to hear of your dads sickness. My husbands grandmother was diagnosed a year ago also at the age of 73. There is no easy way to deal with something like this and it really does not matter where we live because it is such a complicated disease without alot of answers. Your dad sounds so lucky to have you guys in his life and living the moments with him are the most important things in all your lives. Nan (we all call her that) was playing cards with her friends when all of the sudden she had trouble getting her words out and swallowing and ever since then she has a harder time every week. At this time, we have been going to drs once or more a week. Her legs are bothering her around her thighs but other than that she is so independant. We came home last week with a computer which talks for her and surprisingly she has been catching onto the keyboard quite well. Watching a person who was so independant starting to depend on others is really a sad thing to cope with because her mind is always going to be the same and it hurts so much watching this disease progress, if only there was a cure! My heart goes out to you and your family we are dealing with the same thing, it is terrible.