View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 AM #13 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
olly is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
olly is on a distinguished road
Default timesup

i was intrested in your post,especially about your foot arch.
i have had mostly umn desease/pls for 9yrs,but over 18mths ago during a routine neuro exam found i had hypotonia/loss of contraction in my left lower leg.
this leg has got slowly weaker(clinical weakness noted by neuro).
i had a lot of twitching there at one time but now have cramp in lower leg and foot that can last for days on end.
i noticed slight atrophy in my outer ankle,under the bone there is a big crater and a deep hole on the top of my ankle. also general muscle loss in foot,the bones and tendens ect stick out.
i have difficulty walking with my foot /leg,my leg swings back more and both leg/foot gets tired easily and i sometimes have to drag them.
my left foot was always wider than my right but now my shoes slob off my left foot.
i mentioned this to my pt who can see a difference in my foot.
she noted that my arch has collapsed in my left foot and is arranging for me to see someone about it but i need to see my neuro.
i also have now very slight atrophy in my left calf,about just over 1/2inch.
i am not at the panick stage yet about it due to my slow progression with umn desease and hoping there is a simple explanation like it could be due to the loss of contraction in that lower leg. though hypotonia can be a lmn problem,more so in mnd.
i just thought i would share my foot story as it is so similar to yours.
i hope you get answers from your next tests,you are in my thoughts.
take good care
caroline