Not open for further replies.

harryj12345

Country
UK
State
Suffolk
City
Newmarket
Symptoms started during June/July when i was in the middle of my examinations. I did have an itch around my shoulder blade that started in Feb/March (which has now turned into a partially numb region approximately the size of a wrist-watch face), which has been diagnosed by the osteopath and myself as a pressure injury from doing squats (i am a weight lifter). Then around June/July i started having an eye twitch in my upper eyelid. The twitch went on for 3/4 days, then stopped. It then returned around 2/3 weeks ago and has been coming on every 10 minutes or so for maybe 30 seconds at a time. I also had some random finger twitches in my index and thumb digits around 5/6/7 weeks ago that came and went. Now i rarely (maybe once or twice a day) have a thumb twitch. Still, most importantly in the last month or so (maybe more), i have had random twitches in my body (not just the eye). For example, my calf, quads, foot, chin (which i had with my eye to start with for a few days - then dissipated), and sometimes feel it in my abdomen and wrist/forearm. These are not continuous twitches, but maybe come on every 2/3 hours and last for a few seconds until i move that limb. The only weird sensations that have been more long lasting are that of the eye and the arch of my left foot (a sort of tingling/possibly a fast internal twitch - although it is hard to tell). I can't see any muscle wasting, buy thought it would be worth posting it up here to put my mind at rest. I am having my minerals/vitamins tested next week in London, along with general biochemistry, just because i thought one could check, although my Mg and Ca levels have come back normal so far. Any opinions on this would be great. Thank you!

Have you seen a doctor about your symptoms?

Then you should request a referral to a neurologist who specializes in ALS to put your mind at ease.

Then you should request a referral to a neurologist who specializes in ALS to put your mind at ease.

But i posted on here to get advice form others' who know a good deal about ALS and whether my symptoms are along the lines of ALS> Please do not give me the bs about everyone being different. If you can only ever give the advice of seeing the neuro then please do not reply to my concerns. Thanks. other peopel have been answered quite well it seems on this forum, it is a shame no-one who knows their stuff has come along yet.

Sorry if i sounded rude, but I'm really worried at the moment. Also with an EMG where are the needles usually placed for the electrodes?

Harry, I don't think you have to worry about ALS. First your age is going for you. Second you are a weight lifter and they are prone to BFS or other reasons for twitching. Exams = stress which can bring on fasciculations. The doc will put the needles in muscles that he feels may be problematic after a thorough exam. Don't worry. You're not going to die.
AL.

Hello Harry

First of all, you have your age on your side: it is incredibly rare for anyone to have ALS in their teens. You're probably looking at about a 1 in 10 million chance.

There is a syndrome called benign fasciculating syndrome where one simply has muscle twitches. They still don't know exactly what causes it, but it is much, much, much more likely than you having ALS.

It sounds like you are in good hands with your doc. Keep an eye on things and if anything changes, let them know . . . and if you feel the need . . . let us know. I was into bodybuilding myself and it was easy for me to keep track of my strength (I would be able to notice even a 1% change in strength) and my body measurements (I knew exactly what my measurements were before I got atrophy). By the way, I have not been diagnosed with ALS.

Bottom line: I certainly wouldn't be losing any sleep over thinking you have ALS. Let the docs do their job and I'm sure in time they will figure it out. It might be something as simple as overtraining, which a lot of you young guys will do.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I feel relieved now, and i had a certain leaning towards BFS earlier, but then got concerned about ALS as i had an ache and a little stiffness in both my legs, but then i guess it would be one not both usually anyway? Thanks for the tip on over-training. I know what you mean, it's easy to tell if you lose strength. I should also mentioned these twitches are not regular - they are every hour or so maybe longer sometimes. I can't remember usually getting them when i am in bed relaxing - only the eye remains (possible stress and strain - i don't have caffeine etc). With regards to the over training - i am taking a week and a half off to rest my muscles etc. I realise it is more likely to be BFS (touch wood), it;'s just in the last week my legs felt tired and i was like - oh my gosh, could this be muscle wasting? However, the aching and tiredness started well after any twitching from what i can remember - i think it all started after a 9 hour party on my last day of school and loads of dancing, alcohol etc, along with a virus. Generally, how long would you expect it to take for wasting/weakness to occur e.g. if all this started mid summer (June), and i have no weakness or major cramps by December should that mean i am in the clear?

Thank you so much for all the answers, and my apologies if i sound like a headless chicken!

I guess the eyelid twitch goes on with the twitching around my body so does that kind of support the idea it is due to stress/anxiety and fatigue/BFS? Also, i guess my weight lifting would decrease i.e. i would lift less if i really had ALS? Final question, if as i said, by December i have no more fatigue or no visible wasting/weakness am i okay hopefully?

Harry,

Don't worry about coming across as overly anxious. From what I've seen in my very limited time reading this board, first posts rarely represent seas of tranquility.

Please understand that the reason why the instinctive response from other posters is to see a doctor/neurologist is that although we can speak in generalities (or specifically regarding our individual health), none of us can diagnose your particular health concern online. Many posters on this board (including myself) don't even have a diagnosis of any particular illness.

That aside, say that no weakness and no fatigue is an excellent sign.

Robert

Last edited:
Yes Harry you did come across as rude but = whatever -
I do have ALS and have had to see five different nerologists in the course of my diagnosis. It is really important that you seek proper medical help rather than looking for online diagnosis. While the people here can tell you their opinions of what your symptoms sound like to them it would not replace your being seen by a competent physician.
If my replies were short and not what you hadd hoped for - I was having trouble breathing and typing so I apologize for my ALS symptoms getting in the way of a longer reply.
You are young and from what you have described it would be highly unlikely that you do have ALS however, I stand by my first response and that is if you are this concerned you need to get a full workup done to put your mind at ease.:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back