For all U.S. Veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.
And ... sometimes ... good things do happen to good people!
I'm getting weepy, better sign off!
BethU

Vets benefits

Jeff,

So can you tell me...what does this bill mean (in laymen's terms) to you & my husband?
Don has never registered with the VA so I've been working on that tonight. One of the questions that I struggled with was the Agent Orange exposure. How does one know if they'd been exposed if they hadn't seen it with their own eyes? I answered the question as possible exposure.

Thank you for all that you've done and continue to do.....Sis

Until the final wording of the regulation comes out nothing is concrete but as they have stated it thus far it means that any individual who served in the military and is diagnosed with ALS is granted service connection. Service connection for ALS means a minimum of 30% disability which guarantees priority group 2. All equipment, treatments and medications prescribed for the service connected condition, in this case ALS, are covered 100%.

A quick breakdown:
  • Monthly disability payment (can be up to almost $8K/month)
  • Free health care
  • Free Rilutek, Baclofen, etc
  • Free equipment (power chair, AFO, etc)
  • Grant for housing adaptation up to $50k
  • Grant for vehicle modification up to $11k
  • and more have a look at http://www1.va.gov/opa/IS1/2.asp

Again none of this is certain until the wording of the final regulation comes out on August 1.

Jeff,
Thanks for being so pro-active...your efforts will help so many veterans and PALS. Your efforts mean the world to our family. Fondly, KR

Sis a reply to your message is in the Moderator queue.

Kelly, I lived in Ballston Spa for almost 4 years. I went to prototype at D1G at the Kesselring site in West Milton. As I said before I was just in the right place at the right time. This was the result of a team effort.

va benefits

Jeff,

I sit here with tears flowing... What a remarkable step to making sure that those that have served their country are going to be taken care of.

Thank you for all your efforts.

Sis

VA Benefits

Jeff:

Do you know if National Guard veterans qualify for VA benefits? I was in the Virginia National Guard for six years in the sixties, but I can't find out if I qualify. Any help would be appreciated.
Gordon

From the 2008 Edition Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents:

Reserve and National Guard

Eligibility for VA Benefits

Reservists who serve on active duty establish veteran status and
may be eligible for the full-range of VA benefits, depending on the
length of active military service and a discharge or release from
active duty under conditions other than dishonorable. In addition,
reservists not activated may qualify for some VA benefits.

National Guard members can establish eligibility for VA benefits if
activated for federal service during a period of war or domestic emergency.
Activation for other than federal service does not qualify guard
members for all VA benefits. Claims for VA benefits based on federal
service filed by members of the National Guard should include a
copy of the military orders, presidential proclamation or executive
order that clearly demonstrates the federal nature of the service.

Having said that I would recommend contacting a veterans service organization such as the PVA and speaking with them. Realize that they will not know about the ALS regulations as they haven't been finalized and published. Also realize that until the regs are written on ALS none of us can be sure what to expect.

Navy Vets

In November 2005, I was diagnosed with ALS. Since applying for veterans benefits. I became inquisitive as to whether any of my fellow shipmates contracted the disease. As a former member of the United States Navy who served on board the USS Tidewater I discovered that a crew member, who served on the board be Tidewater a year before my service contracted the disease. I am conducting my own research, to ascertain if any other crew members have contracted ALS. If you know of any former Navy personnel who have contracted the disease and served on board the USS Tidewater, please ask them to contact me.

William C. Boll

What about this? You just get all this stuff through and they are going to pull the rug out from under vets?

From Fox News dot com:

President Obama's plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service has infuriated veterans groups who say the government is morally obligated to pay for service-related medical care.

Calling it a "desperate search for money at any cost," Craig Roberts, media relations manager for the American Legion, told FOXNews.com on Tuesday that the president will "wish away so much political capital on this issue" if he continues to insist on private coverage for service-related injuries.

Cmdr. David K. Rehbein of the American Legion, the nation's largest veterans group, called the president's plan to raise $540 million from private insurers unreasonable, unworkable and immoral.

"This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate 'to care for him who shall have borne the battle,' given that the United States government sent members of the Armed Forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies," Rehbein said late Monday after a meeting with the president and administration officials at the Veterans Affairs Department.

"I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service-connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans," Rehbein said.

See the rest of the story on Fox News dot com

God help us all! Can somebody explain this one to me?

I am a member of the American Legion and the email was sent out this morning detailing the Commander's thoughts. He states towards the end, "I got the distinct impression that the only hope of this plan not being enacted," said Commander Rehbein, "is for an alternative plan to be developed that would generate the desired $540-million in revenue." He then goes on to say that they will recommend that Medicare reimburse for VA care.

Veterans put themselves in harms way voluntarily and the government owes them for that service. To charge them for care of injuries or illnesses received because of that service is simply a slap in the face. Personally, I don't think a veteran should ever be billed for treatment of a service connected condition. Having Medicare reimburse is simply moving money around in the same bucket and as such I doubt it will have any impact.

If this goes forward I strongly believe it will get squashed on the floor of Congress. In the meantime, I guarantee I'll be watching, waiting and preparing to write my legislators.

Jeff,

I hope you are right. The more I learn about how the lives of the disabled and the elderly are held in the politicians' hands the more I get angry with my local representatives (the ones I voted for, by the way!). The responses I get back from them are copy and paste nonsense.

Good luck to all the vets! And good luck to all of us!

AKAKA: VA, NOT PRIVATE INSURERS, ARE OBLIGATED TO PAY FOR COMBAT INJURIES

March 17, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Daniel K. Akaka (D-HI), Chairman of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, issued the following statement today in opposition to a proposal to shift the responsibility to pay for care for service-connected injuries from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to the private insurers of wounded veterans:

"VA's sacred duty is to care for veterans injured in honorable service to our nation, and the department should not turn to wounded warriors' private insurance to pay for combat injures. Under my Chairmanship, the Veterans' Affairs Committee will not advance any such legislation," said Akaka.

Akaka's statement follows the submission of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee's views and estimates on the budget to the Senate Budget Committee yesterday. The views and estimates were signed by Chairman Akaka, Ranking Member Richard Burr, and a majority of the Committee members. Last week, Akaka applauded the overall increase President Obama has proposed for VA, as well as his plans to improve services, expand care, and target problem areas within the Department.

From the Washington Post

Obama Drops Controversial Third-Party Billing Proposal for Veterans

Updated 6:57 p.m.
By Philip Rucker
President Obama today abandoned a proposal to bill veterans' private insurance companies for treatment of combat-related injuries after the measure prompted an outcry from veterans service organizations and members of Congress.

The proposal would have authorized the Department of Veterans Affairs to charge private companies for treating injuries and other medical conditions related to military service, such as amputations, post-traumatic stress disorder and other battle wounds. The measure was intended to save the VA about $530 million a year, but the administration's pursuit of third-party billing sparked resistance from leaders of powerful veterans groups, who met earlier this week with Obama.

In a statement released this afternoon, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said the president has "instructed that its consideration be dropped."

"In considering the third party billing issue, the administration was seeking to maximize the resources available for veterans," Gibbs said. "However, the president listened to concerns raised by the [veterans service organizations] that this might, under certain circumstances, affect veterans and their families' ability to access health care."

Veterans groups said the policy would jeopardize the insurance benefits of veterans and their families and would be an abrogation of the government's responsibility to care for those wounded in war.

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), a senior member of the Veterans' Affairs and Budget committees who warned VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki last week that Obama's third-party billing proposal would be "dead on arrival," issued a statement saying the president "did the right thing in dropping this proposal.

"Injured veterans and their families have already paid enough of a price, they shouldn't have to worry about the tab for service-related care," Murray said.

Gibbs said Obama wants to "continue a constructive partnership" with veterans groups and highlighted the administration's commitment to veterans. In his budget blueprint, Obama proposes the largest increase in the VA's budget in 30 years.

Paul Reickhoff, executive director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, was critical of the proposal and issued a statement today saying that the administration is "upholding our sacred trust with America's veterans. Veterans of all generations are celebrating this decision."

This is great news! I hope all als veterans receive this good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back