Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
What a tragedy! Such an amazing and historic building even apart from its religious significance.

I visited there and found it awe inspiring.

My heart goes out to the French people

My first response was that it could not possibly be destroyed- just some of the wooden beams, maybe the roof, would go and they'd replace it (at great cost, but still). I thought it had been through worse since it'd been built- WW II, the Revolution, etc.- due to the centuries it's been there and the historic events it's witnessed. Nope. I can not imagine how the folk witnessing this in person must feel.

Even if it is built faithfully to its original plans stone for stone, glass pane by glass pane- the history of the space within, the feet that have walked across that floor and the events the interior has contained will have been completely destroyed. What a loss.

My niece is studying abroad in Paris and sent pictures. So very sad.

Just crying and looking forward to restauration.
The ashes on the town are sinking in our hearts.
Mourning

There are no actual ashes, just smoke. It is a reference to a poem

Attachments

• 7570500B-BEB9-4E88-A92B-22DD56C09439.jpg
    7570500B-BEB9-4E88-A92B-22DD56C09439.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 381
I saw that on the news. Shocking and tragic. I heard the basic structure is intact, however. Hopefully it can be restored.

I am shocked too. I hope much can be restored in the future. Just looked at more pictures. Hopefully the smoke is not too damaging to people.

I think there will be many donations for a complete restoration quickly. I know some of the original structure will be no more, but I have faith that it will be rebuilt.

I never got to see it in person.

Some rich donators have already announced important contributions to the national fund raising campaign that is being launched. This morning I am just glad nobody was injured. People were evacuated on time. One of the things that saddens me is that the young people and the future generations will never see her as she stood.
There is an expression that says “I won’t wait 107 years “. It comes from the time it took for humans to build it
Still, she will always be the beating heart of the city.
A special thought for the Catholics and other Christians on this Easter weekend

It is devastating I know. A miracle no one was killed and I read only three injuries ( one firefighter, two police) among the responders.

I saw the donations you mention and am sure there will be more

The pictures I am seeing now are both terrible and amazing i truly thought it would be an empty shell.

They are saying much of the art survived and that the organ did too. I hope this is true.

This will make her an even greater symbol of hope and faith.

Thinking of the people of France today

That ORGAN in Notre Dame makes/made the most BOOMING and ghostly reverberations. I think that one is the most sonicly impressive organ in the world. It's pipes are big and fat and go all the way up to Saint Peter, himself.

I am touched by so much international concern.
As to the organ from what I understand of what they know so far, it stands but was probably damaged by the heat and then the water. The firefighters are currently working on securing the premises so that the experts can start evaluating the situation and suggest solutions.

So much sadness as I watched the images. My husband and I went immediately to our photo albums and a painting which hangs on our living room wall to recall its grandeur. We purchased the watercolor painting from a vendor along the river on the day of our visit in June 1999. Our church bell choir performed in Notre Dame on that day, the first bell choir to ever do so. We were guests of the organist at the time, an Amerrican. I can't recall his name right now.

May France know that people the world over, mourn with them.

Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back